Re: gephardt slams crypto regs

Vladimir Z. Nuri wrote:

> Encryption is vital to the Net
>  BY RICHARD A. GEPHARDT
>  Fearing the availability of
> encryption abroad could make it more  difficult for the U.S.
> government to intercept the communications of criminals and
> gather intelligence, the current and past Administrations have chosen
> to maintain  strict export controls on encryption.

  The above only makes sense in the case of the U.S. government
intercepting the communications of overseas criminals and in
gathering foreign intelligence.
  If encryption is indeed "munitions," then we are effectively
scaling back our contribution to the "arms race" without getting
a corresponding scaling back from "the enemy," who is proceeding
forward in the crypto arms race at a full pace.

TruthMonger