Re: need confirmation of DVD/CSS crack in China ...

Ernest Hua <[email protected]> writes:

> [snip]

Don't know if it's true but this ...

Ern's forwarded text:
> > Third, the entertainment industry giants will have to improve and
> > agree on an encryption technology. The current 40-bit encryption
> > standard used on DVD discs, which is supposed to stop copyright
> > pirates, has already been cracked in China.

40 bit encryption obvious that can be broken...

> > Stronger encryption, however, forces PCs and players to run at a
> > crawl.

This sounds wrong to me.  Many strong ciphers run just as fast if not
faster than weak ciphers.  Eg 128 bit RC4 runs at the exact same speed
as 40 bit RC4.  IDEA & CAST are pretty fast, etc.

> > Partially as a result, Fox, Paramount, and Disney have not committed
> > to producing materials on DVD, Burdon noted.

DVD with stupid copy protection is bad anyway.  Copright police are
getting too much influence.

Adam