Re: Stewart Baker on Bernstein encryption decision (fwd)

Declan McCullagh wrote:

>I share part of the blame here; I forwarded Baker's message to
>cypherpunks.

Now, you shouldn't blame the messenger.

>I should point out that Baker is an interesting fellow. Check out his
>article on Japan's crypto export ctrls in last Oct? Wired. He currently
>represents Netscape; he's one of two lawyers in DC who does.

He's an interesting fellow, all right; it can't be denied that his current
position is a rather opportunistic conversion from his previous attitude.
Like Bill Frantz said, it  "indicates that the forces of crypto repression
are in retreat."

What would be *really* interesting is to know the reasons, their own
explanations, for this.   I mean, they can't expect that no one will notice
the change.
    ..
Blanc