Re: H/W v S/W encryption Constitutional challenge --The Next Generati

"Attila T. Hun" <[email protected]> writes:

>     IM[NSH]O, we need a test case that _differentiates_ between
>     hardware encryption engines and _software_for_encryption (not to be
>     confused with firmware).  Patel rendered an important decision, but
>     she refrained from establishing national jurisdiction; our only hope
>     in this instance is further citations as to relevance.

Hmm. The patents on algorithms are phrased as patents on a hardware device
implementing the algorithm. If the gubmint had a precedent of hardware
exports being banned, could they present a software-only export as a
part of a hardward/software package?  Just thinking.

---