RE: Mathematics > NSA + GCHQ

This thread touches a memory of mine from 18 years ago when I was at
university.  While studying for a mathematics exam I became sidetracked
by one of Fermat's Theorems (Last? or Little?) and am convinced to this
day that I came up with an algorithm for determining if a number was
prime by a "simple" combination of shifts and logical operations.  The
beast part was that the amount of calculation was linearly related to
the number of bits in the binary representation of the number.

I only ever spent a couple of hours on it, working through it on paper,
and after the exams were finished and I went back to it I could not find
the original notes and I could not remember exactly what I had done.

However it seems like someone else has...