Re: Stay issued; modified stay to follow (fwd)

----- Forwarded message from Bob Kohn -----

>From cpunks  Fri Aug 29 04:41:12 1997
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 1997 01:06:00 -0700
To: Cindy Cohn <[email protected]>
From: Bob Kohn <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: Stay issued; modified stay to follow
Cc: [email protected], [email protected], [email protected],
        [email protected], [email protected], [email protected],
        [email protected], [email protected], [email protected],
        [email protected], [email protected], [email protected],
        [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected],
Sender: [email protected]

[text/enriched is unsupported, treating like TEXT/PLAIN]

Too bad.  Prof. Bernstein was perfectly positioned to become a great -- and the only legal -- exporting reseller of PGP software.  (no, this is not off the record)

Bob

At 06:21 PM 8/28/97 -0700, Cindy Cohn wrote:

>During a conference call with counsel today, Judge Patel issued a stay of

>the injunctive relief issued in her Opinion of August 25, 1997, effective

>until September 8.

> On September 8 (or sooner if we get the papers to her) the Court she will

>issue a formal Stay Pending Appeal which will stay the injunctive relief

>issued in her Opinion of August 25, 1997, except that an injunction shall be

>reinstated to prevent the prosecution of Professor Bernstein for the

>"unlicensed export" of Snuffle 5.0 (which includes Snuffle and Unsnuffle)

>and any later versions of that program which he has developed.

>This eliminates, at least for the meantime, the injunctive relief granted to

>Bernstein as to any other computer programs which he may have developed or

>otherwise wished to publish.  It also eliminates the protections for persons

>other than Professor Bernstein.

>The government has said that it may still challenge this more limited stay

>in the 9th Circuit.  Professor Bernstein may also seek relief from the stay

>from the 9th Circuit.

>Cindy

>************************

>Cindy A. Cohn

>McGlashan & Sarrail, P. C.

>177 Bovet Road, 6th Floor

>San Mateo, CA  94402

>(415) 341-2585 (tel)

>(415)341-1395 (fax)

>[email protected]

>http://www.McGlashan.com

Robert H. Kohn

Vice President, Business Development

PRETTY GOOD PRIVACY, INC.

2121 S. El Camino Real, 9th Floor

San Mateo, California 94403

Direct: (415) 524-6220

Cellular: (415) 297-6527

Main: (415) 572-0430

Fax: (415) 572-1932

[email protected]

PGP Home Page: http://www.pgp.com

Personal Home page: http://www.kohnmusic.com/people/bkohn.html

<smaller>"If all the personal computers in the world - ~260 million
computers - were put to work on a single PGP-encrypted message, it would
still take an estimated 12 million times the age of the universe, on
average, to break a single message."

 -- William Crowell, Deputy Director of the National Security Agency,

	testifying before the U.S. Congress on March 20, 1997</smaller>

----- End of forwarded message from Bob Kohn -----