Don't ask for permission

Adam Back wrote:

> Depends on your definition of openly.  Jerome Thorel, at the time a
> French free-lance journalist, interviewed the head of SCSSI, he asked
> "can individuals use PGP?" and the answer was "if you asked us for
> permission we'd say no, but if you use it we won't do anything about
> it".  Jerome had this revelvation as his .sig for a while.

Exactly what happens in India. Dont ask for permission, ask for
forgiveness. The govt doesn't want to sanction it. This could
be becuase they might want to declare usage illegal at a latter time,
or currently dont have the infrastructure to tap into people's
communication, or the investment in such infrastructure is
not justified at this time or they realize how entirely stupid
it would be to legally restrict crypto usage. Whatever such
a stand implies it manages to keep venture capitalists away from
crypto products.

best,
Vipul

--

Vipul Ved Prakash                 | - Electronic Security & Crypto
[email protected] 	          | - Web Objects