Is Diana News?

There have been a bunch of messages about this. Some satirical, some
serious. I've avoided any comment (so far as I remember).

But is it news?

I think so.

Not necessarily for Cypherpunks.

But I hear people saying this isn't news, that other things are more
important.

Sure, in some cases. But what is more important this week? News from Mars,
news that Congress is back in session?

Sometimes "personality" stories are more important than "normal event"
stories.

This story involves many interesting issues--freedom of speech, rights of
privacy, the accomplishments of Diana, the issue Toto raised that Diana is
surely a better role model than Diane (Feinstein), the monarchy, the
boycott of tabloids, etc.

No firm conclusions, but I reject completely the idea that routine reports
of Congress being back in session, or that several people were blown up in
Jerusalem, are bigger new stories than this.

This is headed for being the biggest news story of 1997, barring, of
course, an even bigger news story. Get used to it.

--Tim May