Re: Government shows its hand...good news!

At 5:57 PM -0700 9/9/97, Declan McCullagh wrote:
>I won't comment on Tim's second possibility, but the amendment added to
>SAFE today by one committee //prohibits// judicial review. So much for the
>Supremes likely to strike it down.

"Prohibits" in what sense, and in what language?

There's obviously a difference between prohibiting judicial review of
specific wiretaps and the issue of the constitutionality of the legislation
itself! I can only surmise you must mean that language has been added
saying magistrates, etc. are not part of the wiretap process.

Clearly Congress, by the separation of powers arrangement we have in the
U.S., cannot say "And, oh by the way, the Supreme Court is not allowed to
declare this law unconstitutional."

--Tim May