Re: EMP & Cars (fwd)

On 9/8/97 7:00 AM, Peter Trei ([email protected])  passed this wisdom:

>Ham radio operators have been dealing with this issue for years.
>There's a lot of (mostly anectodotal) stories of mobile operators
>keying up their rigs and having either their own or neighbouring
>cars misfiring or dieing. Shielded ignition cables seem to fix
>things (though they are actually bought to prevent ignition noise
>from getting into the radio, not the other way around).

 My 1988 Bronco II used to drop out of Cruise Control if I used 25 watts
or more on 440 MHz FM. On the 50 watt setting at 440 MHz the engine would
start running rough, though it never died. de ka2bqe

Brian B. Riley --> http://www.macconnect.com/~brianbr
    For PGP Keys -  Send Email Subject "Get PGP Key"
    -- of Steve Jobs (1997)
  "He gazed up at the enormous face. But it was all right.
   Everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had
   won the victory against himself. "
  "He loved Big Brother."                 -- George Orwell, "1984"