[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: Removing Tyranny from Democracy (Part II), (fwd)



Forwarded message:

> From: [email protected]
> Date: Tue, 09 Sep 1997 22:49:25 -0500
> Subject: Re: Removing Tyranny from Democracy (Part II), (fwd)

> >  From: Jim Choate <[email protected]>
> >
> >Please be so kind as to detail your top three flaws...
> 
> 1. In a democracy, 51% of the people can vote to enslave the other 49%

Not in this democracy they don't. In every democracy currently extant there
is a bill of rights. The government may not respect it, but that is a flaw
of implimentation not theory.

> 2. In a democracy, you can't have property rights because 51% can 
> capriciously decide to confiscate anyone's property.

See above.

> 3. A pure democracy is true mob rule - a mob has no concience, or bounds to 
> it's tyranny. Look into the history of ancient Athens.

Since there are no true democracies extant your point is moot.


    ____________________________________________________________________
   |                                                                    |
   |    The financial policy of the welfare state requires that there   |
   |    be no way for the owners of wealth to protect themselves.       |
   |                                                                    |
   |                                       -Alan Greenspan-             |
   |                                                                    | 
   |            _____                             The Armadillo Group   |
   |         ,::////;::-.                           Austin, Tx. USA     |
   |        /:'///// ``::>/|/                     http:// www.ssz.com/  |
   |      .',  ||||    `/( e\                                           |
   |  -====~~mm-'`-```-mm --'-                         Jim Choate       |
   |                                                 [email protected]     |
   |                                                  512-451-7087      |
   |____________________________________________________________________|