Re: what is a PKS phone? (Re: Notes from the CypherpunksSeptember Bay Area Meeting)

>On Tue, 16 Sep 1997, Adam Back wrote:
>>
>> What is a PKS phone?
>>
>> Does it have end to end encryption?  Or is it just a standard GSM
>> phone in a star-trek communicator style form-factor, or something
>> else?

and Cynthia Brown replied:

>Could be a typo for PCS, which is similar to GSM but uses the 1.9 GHz band
>instead of 900 MHz (GSM) or 1.8 GHz (DCS). Unfortunately, I don't think
>there are dual-mode phones yet.

I think Cynthia is correct (I was transcribing Eric Hughes' Japanese
"trip report"). Eric was talking about a very small micro-cell phone
extremely popular with Japanese teenagers.

Martin Minow
[email protected]