Re: LACC: DEA Agents Accuse CIA of Tapping Phones

   I sent a copy of this post to a buddy of mine who retired from the
CIA not too long ago ... these were his comments on the matter; FWIW.

>>>But legal experts say it could be a difficult lawsuit to
>>>win, especially since an employer - in this case the
>>>government - generally has a right to listen to employee
>>>conversation on office phones.
>
>They're right.
>
>>>It also doesn't help that national security was involved
>>>and that courts have held that U.S. citizens don't have
>>>constitutional rights overseas.
>
>Completely wrong. No court has so ruled; the writer is confusing
>the Bern Convention, signed by almost every nation on earth, which
>formally establishes the the rule of "lex loci," or law of the land
>where the individual is found. This is only a common-sense
>restatement of old principles of Roman AND common law, whereby a
>national of country X can never act with impunity in country B.
>It's as old as Hammurabi. There is NO "ruling" that establishes
>that an American citizen forfeits his Constitutional rights
>vis-a-vis the United States Government, and to claim otherwise is
>to insult the truth.
>
>>>``It's an uphill battle. It's going to be a tough suit,'' said
>>>constitutional law expert Paul Rothstein of Georgetown
>>>University.
>
>Maybe so. But it'll be fun to watch. We've known for years now that
>the jackbooted thugs of the DEA are by far the most law-abusing,
>disrespectful, rights-sneering, down-and-dirty, life-threatening,
>hair-raising agents of the entire US Government. Bar none. They've
>got to be watched, because they're a nasty threat to individual
>liberty, and because they routinely interfere with the legitimate
>work of other American intelligence agencies. (And they've been
>monitored, by the way, since at least 1984, to my knowledge.)
>
>>>"It is not the CIA's mission, nor is it part of the
>>>operations of the agency, to surveil in any manner
>>>U.S. officials, or other U.S. citizens at home or
>>>abroad,'' Mansfield said.
>
>Well, that's the kind of in-your-face lying that brings deserved
>contempt down on the heads of the intelligence community. I disdain
>it, and have done so publicly. The sonofabitch needs to say openly
>that you're damned right the CIA and NSA do this, and here's WHY we
>do it...
>
>>>The only exception would be in counterintelligence
>>>cases, he added, and then only in consultation with
>>>senior Justice Department officials.
>
>Yeah. A GS-12 giggler.
>
>>>In Horn's previous case, Leighton said, the Justice
>>>Department angered DEA agents by claiming they
>>>have no Fourth Amendment constitutional right
>>>against wiretapping when working outside the
>>>country.
>
>See? The ignorance of DEA agents is legendary!
>
>>>Leighton, a former federal prosecutor, said the
>>>lawsuit doesn't address the reasons for the alleged
>>>electronic eavesdropping.
>
>Ever heard of Title 18 of the US Code, stupid one?
>
>>>"My assumption is because they want to know
>>>what DEA is doing, they want to rip off DEA
> [...]

Brian B. Riley --> http://www.macconnect.com/~brianbr
  For PGP Keys  <mailto:[email protected]?subject=Get%20PGP%20Key>

  "It is one of the most beautiful compensations in life that no
   man can sincerely try to help another, without helping himself."
       -- Ralph Waldo Emerson