Costs of Mandatory Key Recovery

--- begin forwarded text

Date: Fri, 19 Sep 1997 07:54:35 -0700
To: [email protected]
From: Fred Baker <[email protected]>
Subject: Costs of Mandatory Key Recovery
Sender: [email protected]

If you could email any hard numbers as to expected costs to Don Heath
<[email protected]>, it would be helpful.

>>Date: Wed, 17 Sep 1997 10:55:55 -0400
>>From: Philip Webre <[email protected]>
>>To: [email protected]
>>Subject: Costs of Mandatory Key Recovery
>>
>>As I explained over the telephone, we are trying to estimate
>>the private sector costs associated with mandatory key
>>recovery in the US.  Thursday the House Intelligence
>>Committees passed an amended version of HR 695 that
>>would mandate immediate key recovery in all encryption
>>products sold, imported or distributed in the US after
>>January 31, 2000.  It further imposes this requirement
>>on Internet service providers who provide encryption
>>services when presented by a warrant from a duly authorized
>>law enforcement official.
>>
>>We expect that within an organization like a corporate
>>LAN, key recovery can be mandated in a straight forward
>>manner.  But since the relationship between an ISP
>>and its client is more distant, very different mechanisms
>>and cost structure would surface.  I would be very
>>interested in any information you could provide regarding
>>the costs associated with such a mandate.
>>
>>Address:
>>Philip Webre
>>Congressional Budget Office
>>Natural Resources and Commerce Division
>>495 Ford House Office Bldg.
>>Washington, D.C. 20515
>>Fax Number:  202-226-0207
>>Voice:       202-226-2940
>>Internet:    [email protected]

"Planning is bringing the future into the present so that you can do
something about it now." Alan Lakein

--- end forwarded text

Robert Hettinga ([email protected]), Philodox
e$, 44 Farquhar Street, Boston, MA 02131 USA
The e$ Home Page: http://www.shipwright.com/