RE: Why the White amendment is a good idea (fwd)

On Thursday, September 25, 1997 1:37 PM, Jeff Barber
[SMTP:[email protected]] wrote:
> We shouldn't have to "trick" Congress into doing the right thing,
> or provide cover for them either.

Ultimately, we are not going to "trick" them.  Congress has tools, like
CRS, that ensure that they (usually) have good information before a bill is
sent to the President.

However, why shouldn't we provide cover for them?  You can be sure that
Oxley, McCain, Kerrey, etc. will receive "cover" from the FBI and Law
Enforcement.  You can be sure that they will receive endorsements from all
of the right "fraternal brotherhood of police whatever" organizations come
election time.

If a Member of Congress wants to support civil rights, I think that we
*should* provide as much support and "cover" as possible.  It's hard enough
to publically support civil rights and free speech in today's media
climate.

We won yesterday because the Committee found a solution that gave them
cover and allowed all parties to declare victory.  I find that to be a very
good thing.

Aaron