D.A.R.E.--Drugs Are Reality Enhancers

At 9:59 AM -0700 9/27/97, Lucky Green wrote:

>I have one of the red ribbons they give to school kids during DARE week.
>It reads "Live healthy and drug free. Sponsored by Thrifty Drug Store".

Many of you have seen my "D.A.R.E." t-shirt that I wear occasionally to Bay
Area parties and events. For those who haven't:

(in large red letters)   D.A.R.E.

                            I turned in my parents

                               and all I got was this

                                    stupid t-shirt

(I bought this t-shirt from an ad in alt.drugs, a group started by our own
John Gilmore, if I recall correctly, and one of the many groups banned at
many sites.)

A reference of course to the D.A.R.E. (Drug Abuse Resistance Education)
program in America's elementary (grammar) schools, wherein children are
encouraged to inform their teachers and the school administrators about
"drugs" being used in their homes. This has resulted in a bunch of raids of
private homes, the imprisonment of some persons, the removal of children
from homes, etc.

Oh, and a whole lot of "investigations" that turned up wine and beer as the
"drugs" the kiddies were squealing about.

Some schools are rethinking their participation in the D.A.R.E. program.
They've discovered the unsurprising fact that kids are smarter than the
narcs think they are, and don't believe the propaganda. Just as kids in my
cohort rejected the "LSD will make you think you can fly" nonsense, pace
the death of daytime television fixture Art Linkletter's daughter...he
admitted decades later that her suicide had nothing to do with LSD, that
she jumped out of a window for her own reasons, and that he was just going
along with the LSD theory to help the Drug War and to give his daughter's
death some meaning. This is how the narcs think.

Several years ago on the Extropians list I expressed my desire to get a
t-shirt made up with a provocative slogan, "D.A.R.E.--Drugs Are Reality
Enhancers," to wear to public events so as to tweak the noses of the Drug
Warriors and the parents who form the Just Say No Brigade of Reserve
Forces. Kennita Watson sent me a t-shirt decal with this on it, to put on a
t-shirt. Someday maybe I will.

--Tim May