Re: throw away accounts? (was Re: Remailer Attack)

>> * throwaway accounts, and yet with some robustness or reputation capital
>> backing them
>We've kind of got throw away accounts recently, Ian Goldberg wrote a
>perl script to open accounts and sendmail through a couple of the free
>web based email services.
>There might even be a remailer or two using this ... perhaps some
>remailer operators could fill us in.

There are remailer programs for both Hotmail (web-based) and Juno (dialup),
and several people are actually operating remailers from Juno.
The remailers accept mail un the usual fashion, including PGP support,
and take care of working around the advertising that comes with the free mail.
Both services have anti-spamming terms of service, which probably block
running
general-purpose remailers from them because they send unsolicited mail
to non-previously-consenting users.  But there's no problem with the TOS
in running remailers that only send mail to subscribed users,
and it may or may not be acceptable to run the kind of remailer that sends
"Subject: You have anonymous mail - message#12432; reply to pick it up"
and doesn't bother the user further unless they ask for the mail.
I also don't know about posting to Usenet from them.

So what can you do with a limited-target-area remailer?
- Entry remailer, with well-known name, that only forwards
	its mail to other remailers.  Recopients don't complain,
	though you can still get flooded with SPAM.
- Middleman remailer, accepting mail only from remailers and sending
	only to other remailers.  Nobody complains.  Easy to maintain.
	Great for forwarding cover traffic through other remailers.
- nymserver target remailers, though obviously if you're the only
	recipient of mail, it's a bit visible, though you could
	set them up to chain to another remailer
- forwarders to message pools
- subscription-only remailers.
- maybe spam filters?
-
- your suggestion here
-
				Thanks!
					Bill
Bill Stewart, [email protected]
Regular Key PGP Fingerprint D454 E202 CBC8 40BF  3C85 B884 0ABE 4639