Anne Wells Branscomb and other information

Anne Wells Branscomb has died. She was 68. A longtime communications and
computer lawyer, she significantly shaped the world of information and
Net-policy. (I met her once, at a Computers Freedom and Privacy
conference.) Her short biography is at: http://www.ngi.org/AWB/

On a different note, congratulations to:

* Solveig Singleton, the new director of information studies at the Cato
Institute.

* Bruce Schneier and EPIC's Dave Banisar, for their book released last
month, "The Electronic Privacy Papers."

* EPIC's Marc Rotenberg and Phil Agre, for their book released this month:
Technology and Privacy: The New Landscape, edited by Philip E. Agre and
Marc Rotenberg (Cambridge: MIT Press, 1997).

* Bob Palacios, former webmaster for the Center for Democracy and
Technology, who's moving on to a new job at a Rockville, MD software
company. (I understand CDT needs a new webmaster.)

Also, I hear the Competitive Enterprise Institute, a free-market thinktank
in Washington, DC, is looking for a full-time analyst to do Internet policy
work for them. Stuff like privacy, Net-regulation, free speech. Email me
for contact info.

-Declan

Declan McCullagh
Time Inc.