Re: Phone Line Internet (too slow)

Anonymous wrote:

> Inter@ctive WeekOctober 10, 1997
>
>                       Nortel Unveils 1-Megabit Phone Line
>                       Ethernet

etc etc...

>                       The 1-Meg will deliver 1-megabit-per-second speeds
> downstream
>                       into homes or businesses and
> 120-kilobit-per-second speeds in the
>                       other direction

This is too slow upstream for future technology needs.  I'll admit that the

upstream is almost as fast as a 2B+D ISDN setup, but research that I've
done suggest that 384kb is necessary for VHS quality realtime video.

So Nortel will deliver enough downstream bandwith for you to be a video
consumer, but not a provider.  How typical.

I'll wait for xDSL, thank you.

Jim Burnes

--

      "How do you explain school to higher intelligence?"
               Elliot to his brother in ET