Re: Technical Description of PGP 5.5

On Wed, Oct 15, 1997 at 12:43:22AM -0700, Bill Stewart wrote:
> Jon Callas presented a technical description of PGP5.5 at this
> month's Bay Area Cypherpunks meeting, as well as flak catching on the
> politics discussion; Phil Zimmermann and other PGP folks also helped.
> This posting is an attempt to summarize the technical parts
> and leave the politics for other messages.  Perhaps there's been some
> technical discussion on OpenPGP, but feel free to forward this there if not.

No, there has been little technical discussion.  Maybe I've missed
it, but I haven't seen from Adam a succint writeup of what his design
actually is -- most of what he writes is so inflated with steaming
anti-GAK rhetoric that it's hard to get a coherent picture.  Perhaps
he will take your example to heart, and post a strawman design, and
leave the politics to other messages.

> 1) PGP 5.5 API Toolkit -  It's the core of the PGP5.5 GUI and SMTP tools.
> 	It'll be out Real Soon Now.  It's a major change from the
> 	PGP 5.0 Toolkit, which is based on ViaCrypt's older code.
> 	The toolkit knows about all the features in the message
> 	formats, so even if the application programs from PGP
> 	don't provide a given friendly or hostile feature,
> 	you can still write it yourself, and so can the Bad Guys.
>
> 2) PGP 5.* message format - unchanged - uses the multiple recipients,
> 	without any indication of or dependence on relationships
> 	between the recipients.  The format is approximately
> 		Recipient Record 1 - KeyID1, E(sessionkey, PubKey1)  ....
> 		Recipient Record N - KeyIDN, E(sessionkey, PubKeyN)
> 		Message - E(Message, sessionkey)
> 	KeyID is the 32-bit KeyID, rather than a fingerprint.
> 	I don't know if the format or the PGP 5.x software can
> 	generate or accept messages with recipient records for
> 	two different keys with the same keyid (or whether it matters
> 	if the keys are for DH*, RSA, or both.)
> 		* DH can be spelled "E L  G A M A L" -- Blame Cylink :-)
>
> 	While 5.0 did introduce new data formats, they're not stealthy,
> 	and features like the SMTP filters depend on being able to
> 	know how many recipient-key records a message contains,
> 	where their boundaries are, and what their KeyIDs are.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this seems to imply that the CMR fields
in the key structure are really just a convenience -- if PGP, Inc.
didn't write an smtp filter that enforced a CMR key, someone else
(say a firewall vendor) could do so easily, defining whatever
relationship between keys they wanted.

To make that a bit stronger, it seems like *any* model that uses
persistent encryption keys essentially enables CMR-like functionality
in a smtp filter -- it could be done using pgp 2.6.

And therefore, PGP Inc might as well get the business, because if
there is demand, someone will.

In the meantime they can work on perfect forward secrecy.
[...]

> - Customers -
> 	Some of the customers do want to "recover" all their users'
> 	traffic. Others wanted to make sure that mail to a customer
> 	service rep got encrypted to the other customer service reps
> 	also, or at least to the rep's boss, so someone could handle
> 	the business if the original recipient was away.
>
> 	One of the more obnoxious customers was implementing CAK by
> 	having the Corporate Security department generate keys and
> 	hand them to the users on floppies; this gives them a less
> 	obnoxious approach that they're willing to try.
>
> 	One of the customers was really paranoid about making sure
> 	their employees didn't leave their CAD drawings encrypted
> 	and then steal them or extort money from the company for
> 	decrypting the plaintext when they quit; apparently the
> 	idea of using a document management system like programmers
> 	use for source code control had never occurred to them....

Things aren't that simple.

In any case, in large organizations (corporate or government) one of
the biggest motivations for snooping is prevention of management
embarassment.  It's seriously embarassing, for example, to read in the
paper in the morning that one of your employees has been maintaining a
public ftp porn archive on the company computers....you can fire the
employee, but the damage has been done.

It's a cold fact that some employees are stupid, and others are bad.
Snooping is more a result of this fact than it is innate evil on the
part of management. Of course it is nicer to work in a trusting
environment, but the problems go both ways.

--
Kent Crispin				"No reason to get excited",
[email protected]			the thief he kindly spoke...