Been tried before?

I had an idea for a key system using graphics files. Has that been tried
before? The basic idea was to use a graphics file with a color depth of
24-bit or higher. Then, using the rgb values of, say, every prime pixel
(i.e. the first pixel, then the second....then the seventh, then the
eleventh) or something like that to create a stream of numbers the feed
into the cipher which would be highly erratic. A similar looking picture
would not work, as the rgb values would be (I assume) hard to guess, and
even if you came close, you would have to get the right order. If you
used a graphics file format similar to PNG, for instance, you could even
include alpha channels.
    Am I just shooting my mouth off, or does this sound like something
that would work? I'm wondering if this has been tried before and if it
would be worth programming out.

--Drew