Subject: Re: Just say "No" to key recovery concerns...keep OpenPGP pure
From: Adam Back <[email protected]>
To: [email protected]
CC: [email protected], [email protected], [email protected]

Tim May <[email protected]> writes:
> I'll try a different way of making my points...

> At 9:12 PM -0700 10/14/97, Lucky Green wrote:
> >I can't help but see a difference between enforcing to encrypt to a
> >default key and storing the user's key outright. IMHO, the former entails
> >less potential for abuse.
>
> All other things being equal, maybe the former is slightly less intrusive
> than the latter. But maybe not even this, as the two give the same
results.
> After all, what's the real difference between "all mail, incoming and
> outgoing, must also be encrypted to a CMR key" and "you must deposit a
copy
> of your key with us"?

CMR keys are the root of all evil in pgp5.5. Without them almost any
permutation of recovery care to construct would be less useful to the
GAK'ers, for all the organizational, and inconvenience reasons Tim
describes. Governments have problems handling complexity.

So make their job complex. If you were one of the people writing the
IRS tax software back in the 60s, and you were in deep cover, a
proto-cypherpunk, and were bright enough to see the future
possibilities you would have done all you could to fuck up the IRS
system. You would have obfuscated the code. You would have put logic
bombs in it. You would have destroyed the source code
surreptitiously. (Destroying source code has analogies to destroying
keys at earliest opportunity, you are destroying something which your
enemy needs).

Any bets as to if any of this actually happened on purpose? I reckon
so.

So, do you all reckon we can make task of fielding GAK impossibly
complex for such a big disorganized government?

Adam
--
Now officially an EAR violation...

                                    gomez

I used to be a bright-eyed young computer guerrilla myself, many years ago,
but I guess I have grown a little less radical as I have matured, since it
now bothers me when youngsters such as Adam Back attempt to encourage others
to sabotage the code of decent, hard-working programmers.
This matter is of particular concern to me, since Basis, Inc. initially
built the Purchasing and Contracting application in the IRS National Office,
to run under UNIX on Zilogs, with a preSQL Informix database. Thus Back's
intimations of "deep cover proto-cypherpunks" sabotaging the IRS could quite
possibly cause serious harm to my professional reputation, in light of the
wild-eyed claims made about me in 'The True Story of the InterNet'
manuscripts.

I have grown quite tired of being the target of some half-baked, delusional
psychopath who is making me a character in the bizarre prevarications which
drool from his mind, onto the printed page.
I made the mistake of taking pity on a poor fellow one night in a Berkeley
bar, buying him a few drinks in return for the atrocious tunes he played on
a cheap, pawn shop guitar, and soon found him showing up on my doorstep
every time he hit town, looking for a handout. Later, I found out that he
had forged a letter of recommendation in my name, in order to help himself
get established in the computer industry. It was very disturbing to discover
some of the atrocities he had done under cover of affiliation with myself
and Basis, Inc., causing me a great amount of legal problems.

Now, after believing that his obsessive-compulsive fixation on me (because
of his affection for my Jack Russell Terriers) was a thing of the past, I
find that he is now pushing some crazy theory in regard to the Y2K problem,
which is really a fairly insignificant matter that he has blown all out of
proportion, and that he has drawn Adam Back into his madness to one degree
or another.
Mr. Back seems, from what little I know of him, to be a fairly reasonable
individual, but lately he has been sinking into the same type of illogical
rants and conspiracy rhetoric that the imbecile who calls himself the Author
is notorious for. And now Back is making veiled references to persons
connected to 'The True Story of the InterNet' obfuscating the IRS software
code and planting logic bombs in it.

Of particular concern to me is the fact that I personally had a hand in a
rather innocent affair that resulted in our company making some coding
changes which could possibly be misconstrued to indicate that we were
involved in some type of testing of a Year2000 bomb in the IRS software
code.

One of the requirements for the application we built for the IRS was that no
PO (Purchase Order) could be issued without a signed Requisition being
referenced. Also, no PO could reference a Requisition issued outside the
current fiscal year.
Thus, no PO could be written for a Requisition from the previous year.

But�the BIG But�the IRS staff had long been doing this�violating the strict
letter of the IRS rules-especially around the beginning of a new fiscal
year.
Lacking a current fiscal year requisition, they referenced one dated the
previous (just closed) fiscal year.

Suddenly, however, our application stopped their usual practice dead in the
water, once certain PO's could not be processed because we required
reference to valid (current year) Requisitions. We later discovered that the
staff had been "cheating" by defeating our system's logic, after we were
called in to tighten up all the design's enforcement of logic. Next thing
you know, we were asked to relax the logic.

I would like to stress that it is a matter of record that the calendar year
related problems were a result of the government specifications and
requirements for the application, and not the result of some devious plot on
the part of myself or Basis, Inc., to surreptitiously investigate the
potential for designing code that would take advantage of the unique
problems surrounding the advance from the 1999 calendar year to the year
2000 in order to bring the IRS system to its knees.

Neither was the fact that the garnisheeing of my paycheck by the IRS stopped
shortly after our work on the IRS system started in any way related to my
work on their system. It was merely a coincidence of timing.
Conspiracy theorists might also make much of the fact that several Basis
applications programmers shortly thereafter took jobs with the IRS for half
of their former pay, but this can be explained by their desire for the
long-term security and benefits that come with working for the federal
government. The fact that most of them left the IRS and returned to Basis
shortly after completing a major reworking of the calendar year updating
system which locked the IRS irrevocably into two digit year entries
indicates nothing more than the fact that they preferred living on the Left
Coast.

People often offer raised eyebrows when discovering that I went from having
my paycheck garnisheed to receiving a $150,000 tax refund on a $100,000
salary, each year, but this is because they fail to take into account the
fact that my work as a Research Faculty member for the Center for Policy
Alternatives at MIT involved an interdisciplinary research center with links
to Sloan School, which gave me access to superior financial management
advice.
The Center's close relationship to MIT's engineering departments was in no
way connected to any sort of covert government activity, nor to any secret
work on the development of the forerunners of today's InterNet in a manner
that would make it possible for powerful non-elected Committees and secret
Commissions to take control of a large segment of government and society.

The Center for Policy Alternatives ceased to exist years ago, and the rumors
that the Center was merely moved underground to secretly work toward
establishing organizations such as FEMA, and the like, are preposterous.

I am really growing sick and tired of the lies and slander that surround
myself and Basis, Inc., as a result of the jealousy of other major league
computer companies over our success at the peak of the Open Systems computer
consulting industry.
The constant insinuations that we cannot be trusted with highly sensitive
systems such as those at the IRS and PacBell, simply because of our early
history as Deadheads, is an insult to our integrity. To suggest that
Acidhead Grateful Dead fans all have radical political agendas is no more
true than suggesting that all Malcolm X followers are black.

Well, OK, maybe that's a bad example�

Regardless, I would like to put to rest, once and for all, the preposterous
rumors that have been circulating which link myself and other top computer
industry executives to some mythical secret organization whose aim is to
subvert the legitimate machinations of authority and the established power
structure.
I totally deny any connection to 'The True Story of the InterNet' or to
anyone involved in the writing and/or dissemination of the manuscripts, and
I would advise others to do the same.

Copyright TruthMonger <[email protected]>
"Last one seen fixing it, gets the blame."

                        "The Xenix Chainsaw Massacre"

                 "WebWorld & the Mythical Circle of Eunuchs"

           "InfoWar (Part III of 'The True Story of the InterNet')

                Soviet Union Sickle of Eunuchs Secret WebSite