Re: PGP 5.5 CMR/GAK: a possible solution

Jon Callas <[email protected]> writes:
> At 03:02 AM 10/22/97 -0700, [email protected] wrote:
>   [CMR tagged keys description]
>
> You have it mostly right. There's a tag in a self-signature that says,
> "please encrypt to this other key, too." The only time you are required to
> encrypt to Alice's other key is if you and Alice share the same additional
> key (and not always even then).

"Not required to encrypt to CMR key" but "mail will bounce which
doesn't encrypt to CMR key" seems like a fairly small distinction to
me.  So you don't have to encrypt to the CMR key, but if you don't the
message won't get there?  (Of course only when strict flag is set on
policy enforcer, and user id on key you are sending to has CMR request
tag).

Sort of like: you can dial the phone number wrongly if you want, it's
your choice (to avoid phone tap).

And yes you can bypass it, if you're technical, but most people
aren't.  And the bypass can be detected if anyone is checking.

>    So PGP's "everything private unless you choose to make it public" system
>    seems backwards. Surely what we really need to meet these customer demands
>    is an "everything public (within the company) unless you choose to make it
>    private" system? That is, all mail to my department inside the company
>    should be encrypted to a department key, shared by all members, *unless*
>    it is confidential, in which case it should *only* be encrypted to me.
>
> This is certainly possible with the system, and in fact easier to implement
> than anything else.

Sounds like a simpler interim solution, if that's what CMR reportedly is?

>    The effect of this is that if someone wants to send email about an urgent
>    bug and I'm out at lunch, any of my co-workers can read that mail. But if
>    they want to send *me* mail about confidential inter-company negotiations,
>    the co-workers could decrypt the outer layer of the message, but would be
>    blocked by the inner layer encryption to my personal key.
>
>    As I see it, this system is simple, solves the problems which PGP claim
>    they need to solve without creating the snooping problems Tim and others
>    have discussed, cannot easily be adapted to GAK ('This message is to be
>    encrypted to the FBI public key. If it is confidential, click here to
>    superencrypt to the recipient's personal key'), and won't require a
>    massive change to the PGP source code.
>
> This is exactly CMR. The only thing that Business 5.5 does is automatically
> add the department for you, and put up the recipient dialog so it can be
> taken off. Congrats.

It's close, but not quite the same.

The major distinction is that Mark wasn't proposing leaving recovery
information sticking out on email traffic going over the Internet in
the form of CMR extra recipients.  (Also Mark wasn't proposing
bouncing mail which didn't meet requirements)

I you have a policy enforcer set to allow all mails through (no strict
setting), then what Mark described does sound similar at first glance,
but there is actually a very significant difference: there is no
message recovery concept: just emails are encrypted to who they're
meant to be sent to.  (In one case the individual, in the other case
the department).

The outer encryption layer I don't think actually adds anything in
this case (other than potentially extra security if the individual's
passphrase is poor).

Given that, couldn't the same be achieved with 0 modifications?  Have
different keys, some shared, some not.

[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]

with [email protected] key shared between sales manager and sales
persons?

Adam
--
Now officially an EAR violation...