Re: PGP Employee on MKR

 > at 05:38 PM, [email protected] said:

 > The "just don't work for them if 'ya don't like it"-argument
 > will last about 4 weeks...the approximate time a human can
 > survive without eating. (or a couple of weeks less, if you have
 > kids)

 > I.e. unless you are the super-duper, three-times
 > nobel-prize-winner (with lots of money in stocks), who can
 > AFFORD to choose employers that freely, you will be DAMN GLAD to
 > have a job AT ALL, regardless of their policies!

 -=> Quoting In:[email protected] to Harka <=-

 In> Sorry, your sloth and lack of ambition is no excuse to deny me
 In> my rights. An employer only owes you to what is agreed on when
 In> you enter into a contractual agreement of employment. For you
 In> clock punching 9 to 5'ers that means you show up to work, you
 In> do your work, and at the end of the week you get your check.
 In> You don't like the company, or their policies, or the color of
 In> the bosses tie, too bad don't let the door hit you in the ass
 In> on the way out.

In your excitement you might have misunderstood what I was trying to
say:

Implying, that the freedom of an (average) person does not get
infringed by (privacy-intrusive) policies "because they can always
choose a different company" is IMHO plainly incorrect and out of
day-to-day reality for most people.
(Also note, that I am not saying companies don't have the right to
have such policies)
The truth is, that even with proper (college and beyond) education
and sincere effort to make something happen for yourself, it takes
quite a bit to get to a point of being totally free to choose your
employer based on mere policies. And that will probably not change
for most people.

[glorious deeds deleted]

 In> The reason people like you are "DAMN GLAD to have a job AT
 In> ALL" is because you don't do anything to make yourself more
 In> marketable in the corporate world.

Do you really expect single mothers with 3 kids to have the time to
do it to the degree of being able to _freely choose_ their
employers?? Or even Joe Average, who just came out of College and
has $100 000 school-loan-debt?

My point being, that not everybody is in a position to make
themselves "more marketable" to the point of having companies
begging for you, even if they wanted to. And that applies to most
people. (Congrats to the fortunate exceptions.)

Ciao

Harka

/* E-mail: harka(at)nycmetro.com (PGP-encrypted mail pref'd) */
/* PGP public key available upon request.  [KeyID: 04174301] */
/* F-print: FD E4 F8 6D C1 6A 44 F5  28 9C 40 6E B8 94 78 E8 */
/* May there be peace in this world, may all anger dissolve  */
/* and may all living beings find the way to happiness...    */

... I have a byte, and I'm not afraid to use it.

If encryption is outlawed, only outlaws will have encryption...