Re: DEA trying to subpoena book dealers

On Mon, 27 Oct 1997, Tim May wrote:

> At 9:41 AM -0700 10/27/97, [email protected] wrote:
> >Heard on the radio this morning that a book publisher in Berkeley
> >received a subpoena from the DEA (not from a judge, from a DEA agent...)
etc....
> The dealer I bought $150 worth of books and pamphlets from had a sign
> saying "This ain't Barnes and Noble." Indeed.
>
> As for plant cultivation, I'm sure we all recall the cases where DEA SWAT
> teams have raided homes because some electric company report gave the DEA
> some suspicion that grow lamps were being used. (In a lot of these raids,
> there are "side effects" of the residents being sprayed with small arms
> fire. "Whoops." Even more embarassing when no grow lamps are found.
> "Whoops." So much for the Fourth Amendment, which was gutted more than 70
> years ago during the First War on Drugs.)

That wouldn't be the Donald Scott case, would it?  I'm so suprised at
you, Tim.  The local prosecutor said they "lost their moral compass".
The poor men! Now go back home, fill out your 1040 and shuddup.  ;-)

Maybe someone will eventually voluteer to go find their moral compass
for them.

> The Feds have shown their hand: they want a ban on domestic cryptography

the feds want a ban on cryptography
some people want a cryptographic ban on the feds

have a better one,

jvb