Victim Ordered to Surrender Computer and Passwords

--- begin forwarded text

To: [email protected]
Cc: [email protected]
Subject: Victim Ordered to Surrender Computer and Passwords
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 1997 10:04:22 -0500
From: glen mccready <[email protected]>

Forwarded-by: Peter Tonoli <[email protected]>

Date: Mon, 27 Oct 1997 03:02:58 -0500
From: David Kennedy <[email protected]>

Cyber Allegations (AP US & World  21 Oct 1997)

>   PONTIAC, Mich. (AP) -- A woman who said she was sexually assaulted by a
> man she met through an on-line "chat room" has been ordered to turn over
> her computer for examination by the defendant's lawyer.  Circuit Judge
> Alice Gilbert issued the order Oct. 8 after the defendant said another
> computer user told him that the woman had bragged on-line -- in a chat
> room called "Man Haters" -- about making up the story.  The woman was
> also ordered to reveal her password and on-line aliases.

o The accused, a 26-year old is alleged to have pulled a knife and attacked
the victim after a date on Feb 28th.  Prosecutors have said they will
appeal.

> "In my view, turning over somebody's computer these days is the same as
> asking to go through their diary or mail," said prosecutor John
> Pietrofesa.  Inspecting computer records from the opposing side, while
> relatively new in criminal cases, has become common in civil cases, said
> Michigan lawyer and computer law expert Robert A. Dunn.  In civil cases, a
> judge will institute safeguards such as making both sides sign a
> confidentiality agreement that information gleaned from computer records
> will not be disclosed outside of court, he said.

Dave Kennedy CISSP, National Computer Security Assoc

--- end forwarded text

Robert Hettinga ([email protected]), Philodox
e$, 44 Farquhar Street, Boston, MA 02131 USA
The e$ Home Page: http://www.shipwright.com/
Ask me about FC98 in Anguilla!: <http://www.fc98.ai/>