Re: Killing those who need killing

At 9:06 PM -0700 10/30/97, Jonathan Wienke wrote:

>Mrs. Shirley Allen has been captured and is getting her mandatory
>psychiatric exam.  Her family is celebrating, according to ABC news.
>Anyone think she will be declared sane?  If so, I have some excellent
>Florida swampland for sale...  Reality is a symptom of alcohol deficiency!
>
>ObTongueInCheekFearmongeringThought:
>How many Cypherpunks are vulnerable to this "psychiatric imbalance
>allegation" attack?  Tim May is obviously an anti-social survivalist gun
>freak, (like me, but with a bigger ammo stockpile--I'm jealous) Vulis is
>obviously a closet bisexual deviant/pedophile (especially if he posts those
>"Timmy Mayonnaise" ASCII art spams), Bill Geiger is a rabid anti-government
>extremist a la McVeigh, and TruthMonger--need I say more?  It only takes
>one disgruntled relative to "Allen" somebody...which in itself is a
>powerful motivation to engage in anti-social behavior.  Hint: Look up what
>happened to almost everyone who knew Stalin as a child...

Don't any of you get any ideas here, but in California it is ridiculously
easy to get someone committed for a 72-hour observation period. All one has
to do is convince one of the various agencies that a person is a possible
danger to himself or to others.

So, 72 hours playing head games with a shrink doesn't sound so bad, does it?

For starters, expect a regimen of antipsychotic and antidepressant drugs,
sort of a reduced version of "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest." Then,
expect shrinks who are looking for antisocial behavior, not organic
psychoses.

Worst of all, the mere fact of having been committed, regardless of the
eventual outcome, can mean a complete loss of rights to own a handgun,
rifle, or shotgun for a long period (10 years, I think). Failure to let the
Thought Police in for a look around one's home is almost ipso facto grounds
for committment.

"I'm having fantasies, doctor, about spraying a vanload of shrinks
trespassing on my property."

Enough to get me committed? Go ahead, make my day.

--Tim May