DCSB: Carl Ellison on Identity and Certification for Electronic Commerce

--- begin forwarded text

Date: Mon, 13 Oct 1997 12:52:18 -0400
To: [email protected], [email protected]
From: Robert Hettinga <[email protected]>
Subject: DCSB: Carl Ellison on Identity and Certification for Electronic
 Commerce
Cc: [email protected]
Sender: [email protected]

               The Digital Commerce Society of Boston

                            Presents

                          Carl Ellison
                         CyberCash, Inc.

                    Identity and Certification
                     for Electronic Commerce

                      Tuesday, November 4, 1997
                             12 - 2 PM
                 The Downtown Harvard Club of Boston
                   One Federal Street, Boston, MA

It is a common belief that you can not trust someone on the net
unless/until you establish his "identity" via an interactive protocol in
which the other person establishes proof of ownership of a given private
key and a transfer  of certificates which establish a binding between that
key and a person's  "identity" (in the form of a common name plus enough
information to make it unique in some global hierarchy of names).  This
talk will establish that the proof of key ownership is the primary value
obtained from this process and that the global hierarchy of names is
effectively useless.  It will propose certificates for electronic commerce
which use a person's public key to identify him, avoiding the hierarchy of
names.

Carl Ellison is a cryptographic engineer with CyberCash, Inc., of Reston
VA. He has been involved in cryptography since about 1978 and seriously
involved since doing his first cryptanalysis in 1986.  With the
introduction of PEM in the early 1990's, he found the PEM certification
process to be a killing roadblock and has studied certification and the
establishment of  identity since that time.

This meeting of the Digital Commerce Society of Boston will be held on
Tuesday, November 4, 1997, from 12pm - 2pm at the Downtown Branch of the
Harvard Club of Boston, on One Federal Street. The price for lunch is
$30.00. This price includes lunch, room rental, various A/V hardware, and
the speaker's lunch. ;-).  The Harvard Club *does* have dress code: jackets
and ties for men (and no sneakers or jeans), and "appropriate business
attire" (whatever that means), for women.  Fair warning: since we purchase
these luncheons in advance, we will be unable to refund the price of your
lunch if the Club finds you in violation of the dress code.

We will attempt to record this meeting and put it on the web in RealAudio
format at some future date

We need to receive a company check, or money order, (or, if we *really*
know you, a personal check) payable to "The Harvard Club of Boston", by
Saturday, November 1, or you won't be on the list for lunch.  Checks
payable to anyone else but The Harvard Club of Boston will have to be
sent back.

Checks should be sent to Robert Hettinga, 44 Farquhar Street, Boston,
Massachusetts, 02131. Again, they *must* be made payable to "The Harvard
Club of Boston", in the amount of $30.00. Please include your e-mail
address, so that we can send you a confirmation

If anyone has questions, or has a problem with these arrangements (We've
had to work with glacial A/P departments more than once, for instance),
please let us know via e-mail, and we'll see if we can work something
out.

Upcoming speakers for DCSB are:

December  James O'Toole        Internet Coupons
January   Joseph Reagle        "Social Protocols": Meta-data
                                 and Negotiation in Digital Commerce
February  Donald Eastlake      SET

We are actively searching for future speakers.  If you are in Boston on
the first Tuesday of the month, and you would like to make a
presentation to the Society, please send e-mail to the DCSB Program
Commmittee, care of Robert Hettinga, <mailto: [email protected]> .

For more information about the Digital Commerce Society of Boston, send
"info dcsb" in the body of a message to <mailto: [email protected]> .
If you want to subscribe to the DCSB e-mail list, send "subscribe dcsb" in
the body of a message to <mailto: [email protected]> .

We look forward to seeing you there!

Cheers,
Robert Hettinga
Moderator,
The Digital Commerce Society of Boston

Robert Hettinga ([email protected]), Philodox
e$, 44 Farquhar Street, Boston, MA 02131 USA
The e$ Home Page: http://www.shipwright.com/
Ask me about FC98 in Anguilla!: <http://www.fc98.ai/>

"[email protected]" with one line of text: "help".

--- end forwarded text