Re: Documentation

> >In the coming weekend, I'll be updating the newuser FAQ
> >(for things like PPP and 2.2). I'm sure a post-install checklist would be
> >a welcome addition.
> >
> >B U T . . . .
> >
> >Not everyone runs things like Kerberos or DNS. Keep in mind that many
> >people use OpenBSD for many things and in many environs. The OpenBSD setup
> >on my firewall at the office is much different than the Sparc, Alpha, and
> >P5/133 I run it on at home. The setup on my router machine at home is also
> >much different than the other machines in my house. There are ways people
> >have setup OpenBSD on embeded systems to do things like manage the
> >fuel/air mix ratio on their Corvettes (OK, one person I know of planned
> >that, but couldn't get the financing for the car...) I hope that draws the
> >picture.
> >
> >As for the verification after install, that is sort of "auto-manditory"--
> >if a filesystem isn't mounted right, /etc/fstab has to be checked out. If
> >the network doesn't work, the network files must be examined to "make it
> >go." As oopposed to attacking this as a checklist, how about it is
> >attacked as "If networking doesn't work, check hostname.(interface)"-- but
> >there is more to that then just files in /etc (boot -c in order to
> >reconfigure hardware addresses)
>
> As a user of OpenBSD, and having tried to manage projects with it for
> implementation of added features for customers...I could not agree with
> the above position.
>
> You see, if you are ALREADY familiar with OpenBSD then you will most likely
> know exactly what to do when installing and seting up a system. New User's
> Notes / Installation Checklist's will most likely be ignored by you.
>
> However, if you are brand new to the system, then an Installation / Setup
> Checklist (a good one) will prove to be essential. Wouldn't it be great if
> just about every post to these groups from a new user was one like "..hey!
> This OpenBSD thingy works great! The installation was a snap!.." or something
> like that.  We all know that hardly happens now...but, it could.....
>
> I, for one, believe strongly that a good 'Overview', 'Setup Notes' and 'Installation
> Checklist' must somehow find it's way into the distribution. It is also clear
> that the machine / arch specific differences will require unique versions
> for each.

I completly agree with you. Just anoze topic that i can add is installation
procedure,especially disk partitoning. It's a very dungerous/important
procedure but it's description ins INSTALL.i386 is a bit too short and
need examples(espcially). Something like - "Imagine we have disk with
such and such patitions and now we want to install OpenBSD here & there so
we should... It would'be _very_ helpfull.

BTW, does anybody work on installation software ? Something like in FreeBSD/RedHat ?

Alexey Pialkin