Re: Technology 'secures' gunfire [CNN]

Jonathan Wienke writes:

> ----==--=----===--===--==---==-====--==--=-=----=-
>
> At 09:06 PM 10/31/97 -0600, Jim Choate wrote:

They've been testing this in the city I live in.  The police got
the company who makes it to set it up as a demo.

There's a significant area of town in which most of the residents
are mexican, and they have a habit of firing guns in the air on
important holidays.  The gunshot locator was installed primarily for
tracking down such shooters.

It turns out that it doesn't work very well- when the demo came up or
review, the police said that they didn't want to buy the system, because
it can't tell the difference between a gunshot and a car backfire and
the cops were wasting time searching for non-existent 'gunfire'.

There was an outcry from the citizenry- evidently the gunshot locator
made them "feel safer" although even the cops claim its ineffective.
The sheeple prevailed, and the city council coughed up the money to buy it.

--
Eric Murray  Chief Security Scientist  N*Able Technologies  www.nabletech.com
(email:  ericm  at  lne.com   or   nabletech.com)          PGP keyid:E03F65E5