PGPsdk is out, but not for free (fwd)

Forwarded message:

> Date: Sat, 1 Nov 1997 16:36:05 -0500
> From: Anonymous <[email protected]>
> Subject: PGPsdk is out, but not for free

> >License Plan #1
>
> >                            Authentication, Encryption/Decryption,
> >                            PGP/MIME, Key Management:  $25,000 advance on
> >royalties + 2% of product revenues (minimum $1 per client and $35 per
> >server)
>
> >Add Certificate Server Integration:
> >                                          $5,000 advance on royalties
>
> >Support/Upgrades
> >                            (includes email support by a trained
> >                            developer support technician)
> >                            $1,500 per year + 15% of royalty payments

Hmmm, will have to rethink suggesting any PGP based products to my customers
now. I simply refuse to pay anybody any percentage of my product revenues
simply because I use their tool. I buy a SDK for a flat fee like I buy a
book, screwdriver, or a car. I can't imagine Black & Decker wanting a
percentage of the house sale simply because the carpenter used their hammers
and saws. Ford or Chevy wanting to see my income statement each year so they
can figure out how much I owe them because I drive their brand of vehicle to
my customers sites...yeah right.

$25k?...PGP Inc.....Get a clue. Hell, at those kinds of license fees I can
afford to develop my own libraries.

What I do with it and how much money I make with it is my income alone
(minus taxes) *unless* they want to cover some percentage of my business
costs (which I don't want).

   |    The financial policy of the welfare state requires that there   |
   |    be no way for the owners of wealth to protect themselves.       |
   |                                       -Alan Greenspan-             |
   |                                                 [email protected]     |