No Subject

After seeing the intents of PGP Inc. with the
release of their new PGP that breaks the old
free versions, I have all but written them off
as anything but the Enemy, and am waiting for
a public reply on the list by Tim May to make
it official.

But now what? Please someone answer my questions
about PGP - it appears that the 5.x versions are not
compatible with the 2.x versions which came previous.
Is this so? Also, the direction they seem to be
heading is in providing more and more non-free
GAKked product. But aren't the 2.x and 5.x versions
freeware? If so, can't others - a group of
individuals - take that source code and build off
of that? Piss on these assholes and their licensing
fees. It was inevitable, anyway. They are a
corporation after all, and the corporations are
not on "our" sides.

I can see a scenario where government is impotent
and destroyed within 10 years. What will remain
and will be harder to eradicate are the corporations.
I don't think we should rely on corporate software
whenever possible, because it always comes with
an ulterior motive. Is there an effort to maintain
a version of PGP based on the free 2.x sources
that is not affiliateed with the fuckwads at
PGP Inc.? If not, is it high time some of us
began such an effort?