RE: S/MIME

In
<c=CA%a=_%p=NorTel_Secure_Ne%[email protected]>,
on 11/04/97
   at 09:54 AM, Ian Clysdale <[email protected]> said:

>I'm sorry, but I have to disagree on that one.  S/MIME DOES use 40 bit
>RC2, by the standard, but the standard specifically states the  weakness
>of those keys, and recommends using another implementation.
> The standard strongly recommends the use of triple-DES, and  apparently
>the Communicator and Outlook S/MIME triple-DES now  interoperates
>properly.  Deming has also had a plugin which does  triple-DES for quite
>a while.  In addition, individual vendors are  allowed to put in any
>other algorithms into an S/MIME implementation  that they desire - for
>example, the default algorithm in Entrust's  S/MIME implementation is
>CAST-128.

>The point that I'm trying to make here is that while PGP defines both
>algorithm and protocol, S/MIME just defines protocol.  As long as you
>have two clients which share common algorithms, then you can use any
>algorithms that you like with S/MIME.

This is not true.

If you read the S/MIME specs it says one MUST implement the RC2/40
algorithm. A MUST in an RFC has a very definate purpose: If an aplication
does not implement all MUST sections of the RFC then it is not compliant!
To create an S/MIME compliant application one MUST implement RC2/40 and
one MUST pay RSA to do so!!

This is the BIG difference between S/MIME and Open-PGP. In Open-PGP there
is no MUST to implemnet weak crypto. In Open-PGP there is no MUST to
implement propritary algoritms.

For those in the cheap seats:

S/MIME:

- -Weak Crypto
- -Pay RSA

Open-PGP:

- -Strong Crypto
- -Don't Pay Anyone

I think that this should be simple enough for anyone here to understand.

If your Entrust product is going to be using S/MIME to communicate with
overseas users of Netscape and/or MS Outlook then you will be using RC2/40
to do so. That is the reason it is in the specs as a MUST, so MS and
Netscape can export their products!!!

Netscape, Microsoft, and RSA are letting thier greed get in the way of
developing a message encryption protocol that provides strong crypto to
ALL users.

- --
William H. Geiger III  http://www.amaranth.com/~whgiii

OS/2 PGP 2.6.3a at: http://www.amaranth.com/~whgiii/pgpmr2.html