PGP's SMTP enforcer and ISPs

Recently, my ISP became the victim of spammers.  Their response, like many
other ISPs, is to block port 25 for all their dialup users.  This means
that all outgoing email must be routed through their mail server.

Now that PGP has an SMTP enforcers, and that others will eventually follow
with a S/MIME equivalent, we are literally an executive order away from an
effective (if not 100% complete) ban on "inappropriate" encryption on email
communications.

All it would take is a national emergency, like the next war against Saddam
Hussein, or a law that does not treat ISPs like common carriers and holds
them liable for what their users do.

And the worst thing of all is that most people won't even notice it.  Hell,
I was the only person on my end to notice that my ISP had blocked port 25.

-- Phelix, "perfect paranoia is perfect awareness"