Re: Br'er Tim and the Bug Hole

At 1:34 PM -0700 11/11/97, Robert Hettinga wrote:

>Sheesh.
>
>Remind me not to lock myself up, all alone, with a bunch of live ammo and
>almost no one to talk to but the internet, in an isolated hilltop
   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Ad hominem becomes you, Bob.

A variation of the old "get a life" put down of anyone whose opinions one
disagrees with.

>I mean, Tim, I have to admit I'm just as nervous as the next guy about being
>next to soft targets these days, but I almost find myself agreeing with
>other people, people you would respect otherwise, who are saying that you're
>making yourself the greatest friend that Reno and Freeh ever had. A
>vertiable poster boy for statism if there ever was one. And so on.

So we're back to the old "if we won't restrain our opinions, Reno and Freeh
will have to."

I say what I think. Not all of it publically.

Recently I was using my ComSec 3DES phone to talk privately (with one of
those rare persons, according to Bob, that I talk to outside of the Net)
with someone. He sent me later saying, "Nice talking to you this evening
(afternoon, for you) and nice to be able to speak freely. What used to be
taken for granted is now a
luxury. <sigh>"

Truer words were never spoken. Wiretaps, anti-terrorism task forces,
political prisoners in Washington state, Roby Rudge, Ruby Ridge, Waco, bans
on discussion of chemicals and bombs, and on and on.

>I figure the state, particularly the guys who work at the pointy end of the
>bayonet, is kind of like Mongo in "Blazing Saddles": You shouldn't shoot at
>them, because it only makes them mad. Unless, of course, they start shooting
>at you first, and you have no other choice. Which, by the way, *you're* not
>doing, even though you assert the opposite. "Mooning the ogre" of public
>opinion, as Stuart Alsop puts it, and forcing a showdown with people who
>would normally not give a shit about you, isn't going to do you, or anyone
>who agrees with you, any good. It's like spitting on a cop as he walks by
>and then marvelling at his suprising ferocity when he beats you to a bloody
>pulp...

More over the top nonsense from Bob. I've done nothing that will "force a
showdown." Precisely what crimes, Bob, have I committed? Cite a charge.
Even a single one.

>On the other hand, Tim, I suppose, there *is* Bosnia as a prima facie
>counterexample, and I bet that *that* little fandango probably started with
>a bunch of "freedom fighters" like the one you fancy yourself to be these
>days.

More typical Bob Hettinga insult arguments. You ought to form a club with
Kent Crispin, Detweiler, and Vulis.

>Frankly, if that's the model you want to follow, Tim, I would suggest that
>you actually move somewhere where other folks who think like you live
>already, instead of shoving your favorite Mac-10 up the nose of every
>statist treehugger you bump into out there in lotusland. Maybe (ironically)

You want to document a case where I've shoved a Mac-10 up anyone's nose,
let alone a tree hugger?

Or is talking now the same as shoving a gun in someone's nose? (You'd be
surprised how many liberals think this is so, even some judges who just
ruled against Evil Assault Literature.)

>I bet if you go to a place like that, where intellegent people appreciate
>guns and freedom, you won't have to clean the snot off the end of your

Bob, get back on your medications.

>Frankly, I liked Lazarus Long, or even old Farnham himself, a lot better.
>Hell, even a better, more libertarian (Nazi uniforms? Sheesh^2...), remake
>of "Starship Troopers" would be preferrable to the scipt you've written
>yourself.

I don't form or express my opinions to have you like me more than these
fiction characters you're obsessed with.

Get a life, Bob.

--Tim May