Re: Australian sheep [WAS RE: Bell vs. Woodward--justice?]

(An interesting essay from an Australian was sent to me via an anonymous
remailer...at least he or she claimed to be Australian. As I can only
respond to him or her via the list, here's my reply.)

At 6:42 PM -0700 11/11/97, Anonymous wrote:

>  T> As for Australia, your countrymen acted like sheep in giving up
>  T> their guns.  If they try that kind of shit here in this country,
>  T> a *lot* of cops are going to get killed.
>
>  T> (Not necessarily by me, though I'll defend my property and my
>  T> constitutional rights as best I can. But the militia and patriot
>  T> and anti-New World Order movements are preparing for war.)
>
>As an Australian I couldn't agree more with your conclusion Tim.
>Australians showed a shameful and cowardly disregard for individual
>liberty and freedom on the gun issue and a time will come I'm sure

And let me assure you that I am not insulting all Australians. I call them
as I see them, whether it's Americans (the most common target of my
analyses), Germans, French, Swedes, etc.
>sources. We have in doing this showed just how sheep like we are for
>instead of taking some responsibility for our own future defence needs
>we have placed ourselves at the feet of the USA for our continued
>freedom to pass even more restrictive laws on ourselves. We will all
>rue the day America loses interest in us and no doubt some of our
>ernest friends to our north will at that point suddenly show a very
>great interest in this land. Anyone who seriously believes otherwise

"Pax Americana" is the name for this trend. America sits astride the world,
as the only remaining military superpower, and an economic superpower as
well.

I say this not to be jingoistic, but as an expression of reality. The
former Soviet Union is in disarray, and its submarines and ICBMs are
apparently rusting away and will soon be inoperable. This is, in a sense,
good news. The United States almost bankrupted itself in the 40-year Cold
War. And now, instead of turning swords into plowshares, cutting taxes, and
getting on with life, American sends its aircraft carriers to far-off
places, acts as the world's policeman, draws lines in the sand and dares
Saddam to cross them, threatens trade wars, and browbeats other nations.

(I'd gladly settle for a broken up USA, with five or six economic/political
regions, each too small to run around the world butting into the affairs of
distant nations. The coming chaos may succeed in doing this.)

>is a fool.  Personally I have laid down a weapons cache that would, at
>the hands of our media, make me look like an invading army myself.
>Some of my friends have done likewise. I believe it is my right,
>indeed my duty to provide for my own defence. In doing so I am now run
>the risk of 20 years imprisonment. Of course since I run this risk
>(and self defence is no longer a justification for holding a weapon in
>this country) I have not limited myself to semi-auto weapons as they
>are now as illegal as automatic weapons, grenades, mines etc. In for a
>penny in for a pound.

One of the first things the invading U.S. forces did in Somalia was to
disarm the civilian population. (I am not making this up.) The farmers
protested that they would be left defenseless against the nomadic guerillas
and looters. Ah, but the benevolent U.S. decided, via consultations with
the U.N., that the key to peace lay in disarming those they could disarm.

As the U.S. found, those they were unable to disarm kicked their asses all
around Mogadishu. Dragging a chopper pilot around town was just the most
visible sign.

So the U.S. retreated. Is this portrayed as a defeat? Nope. The warmongers
talk about how America has "bounced back" from its loss in Viet Nam and has
not lost a war since. More reason to invade other nations.

Anyway, disarming the civilians is now U.S. policy. Not too surpising that
Clinton looks with favor on the recent disarmings in the U.K. and Australia
(and with newer restrictions in Canada, too).

>regardless. It is our right and duty, as free men and women to be able
>to defend ourselves and god help anyone who comes to disarm us. The
>ban, if anything has forced true patriots to decide just which side of
>the line they stand on and fostered a more extremist attitude towards
>those who would stand aside while the people are murdered. We realise
>that constitutional protections such as enshrined in your great
>Constitution are won only with blood and not with the talk of the
>corrupt. Some of us are awaiting the coming tide with relish.
>
>Good luck and good hunting,

Amen. And Australia should not be completely surprised if the U.S. offers
to send "peacekeeping troops" to your country to help with the disarmament.

The conspiracy theorists who talk about the New World Order and U.N. "Blue
Helmets" roaming U.S. streets have it only half right: the other side of
the New World Order is having U.S. troops, possibly under U.N. flags
(barf), patrolling conquered, er, liberated territories.

I don't want to see my fellow countrymen die in foreign wars, but it
wouldn't break my heart to see some Aussie sharpshooters taking out foreign
invaders. Should this event happen.

(Many of us are fighting the New World Order, and I don't personally think
there will be Americans sent in large numbers to quell large populations.
America likes picking on countries much smaller than itself.)

Good luck.

--Tim May