Re: FCPUNX:PGP's SMTP enforcer and ISPs

SSH and a remote shell account can solve this problem. If they close port
22 it is time to change providers.

<shameless plug>
Cyberpass <http://www.cyberpass.net> provides anonymous shell accounts and SSH.
</shameless plug>

	-Lance

>Recently, my ISP became the victim of spammers.  Their response, like many
>other ISPs, is to block port 25 for all their dialup users.  This means
>that all outgoing email must be routed through their mail server.
>
>Now that PGP has an SMTP enforcers, and that others will eventually follow
>with a S/MIME equivalent, we are literally an executive order away from an
>effective (if not 100% complete) ban on "inappropriate" encryption on email
>communications.
>
>All it would take is a national emergency, like the next war against Saddam
>Hussein, or a law that does not treat ISPs like common carriers and holds
>them liable for what their users do.
>
>And the worst thing of all is that most people won't even notice it.  Hell,
>I was the only person on my end to notice that my ISP had blocked port 25.
>
>-- Phelix, "perfect paranoia is perfect awareness"

>| The above message was sent from the Filtered Cypherpunks List, a free |
>| filtering service.  Direct any replies in regards to this message to  |
>| its author.  Archives available from  www.sundernet.com/fdigest.html  |
>-------> For help see http://www.sundernet.com/crypto.html <-------------

Lance Cottrell   [email protected]
PGP 2.6 key available by finger or server.
http://www.infonex.com/~loki/

"Love is a snowmobile racing across the tundra.  Suddenly
it flips over, pinning you underneath.  At night the ice
weasels come."
                        --Nietzsche