cryptx spam - des-based program.

I got spammed by someone selling Cryptx, a DES-based encryption program.
I'm assuming they know they're spamming; at least the person who
sent the email did, though perhaps the vendor doesn't understand it.
In addition to selling crypto, their web page says they also sell an
"Automates the process of submitting your URL's to over 370 sites!"
which is at least on the borderline tacky side.

Their web page doesn't look like snake oil, though they _really_
need to emphasize the importance of good keys
(they talk about DES having been cracked once by the distributed
internet crack, and neglect to mention that DES with easy-to-guess
keys has been cracked regularly for years.
So not only do the Bad Guys abuse the level of effort of the crack,
but so do well-meaning but clueless people.)
I'd guess they don't do anything like generating a random high-entropy
session key and encrypting it with a passphrase.
Also, they promise an "Update to 448-Bit encryption", which says
that even if there's no snake oil now, there may be soon.
Upgrade so you can email your encrypted files right through Cryptx. You
will never have to worry about sending uncompromised email again.

All of the domain names in the SPAM are from directsend.com
   Info World
   PO BOX 92223
   City of Industry, CA 91715-2223
except of course than nrply.com is non-existent.
The web page gives its identity as
 PBD Technologies
 13502-H Whittier Blvd.
 Suite 304
 Whittier, CA 90605
Their web page also says they have offices in Portland and Toronto,
presumably including the person named in the whois for crypt-x.com
   Mark Weber CRYPT-X-DOM
   4534 SE 17th Ave. Ste. 153B
   Portland, OR 97202
   US
   Administrative Contact:
      Weber, Mark  MW3634  [email protected]
      503-235-9442 (FAX) 503-235-9254

>From: [email protected]
>Date: Sat, 15 Nov 1997 16:48:59 -0500 (EST)
>To: [email protected]
>Subject: Protect your data from prying eyes!
>
>Hello -
>Do you have information that is vulnerable?  Do you
>utilize Email, FTP, HTTP, or just browse the Net?
>If so, your personal and business information is accessable
>to those who know how to find it.  Now you can have the most
>powerful Data Security program, Cryptx, completely encrypt
>your data to keep out prying eyes.  Why take the chance?  Get
>your information completely secured and keep everyone from
>children to co-workers OUT of your private data.  For more
>information and to get your FREE, fully-functional, Demo today
>simply go to our website at:
>http://www.ultra-mail.com/cryptx
>For questions or information on Dealer opportunities, please
>send a message to:  [email protected]
>Thanks-
>Cryptx Staff

>to be permanently removed, please send a message
>to:  [email protected]

				Thanks!
					Bill
Bill Stewart, [email protected]
Regular Key PGP Fingerprint D454 E202 CBC8 40BF  3C85 B884 0ABE 4639