Re: [cpe:4537] Tim May's defensive racism (was: about RC9) (fwd)

Austin redneck hippie, Jim Choate, wrote:
> > From: TruthMonger <[email protected]>
> > Subject: Re: [cpe:4537]  Tim May's defensive racism (was: about RC9)
> >   Electronic communication is a bare-bones ASCII interpretation of
> > our intended communication. i.e. - stripped of intonation and other
> > physical gestures which convey a meaning beyond the mere words we
> > speak, in themselves.
> >   Although there are some rudimentary ASCII images (:>) which can be
> > used to add elements of shared emotional or conceptual constructs to
> > the message we are attempting to convey.
> >
> >   The Medium IS the Message.
>
> You clearly don't read real books...especialy those of the great authors of the
> world.

  Been there, done that, got the T-shirt, had no idea what it meant...

> People who believe the spin doctorism 'The medium is the message' usualy
> spend their time watching television or working for it.

  Those who *do*not* believe 'The medium is the message' usually think
that Socrates' world-veiw would have been exactly the same if he had
been using the InterNet as his means of viewing and communicating with
the world.

> >   Until the email/communications medium evolves to allow us the ability
> > to add not only smiles and winks, etc., but also chagrin, doubt, self-
> > doubt, etc., to our online communications, the medium will remain an
> > impediment to conveying the totality of our true message, as opposed to
> > being merely an electronic version of 'pidgin Englich'.
>
> This could happen provided we got rid of television and made graphics harder
> to print...

  Right, Jim. Give us your prediction of when this is going to happen...
(Yes, I *am* laughing at you...thanks for asking.)

  Reality is that even when the medium evolves to the point where we
can use it to convey the totality of what we are trying to convey, that
after we have done so the 'powers that be' will flash a graphic of
us on the computer screen, making us look for all the world like a
drug-dealing, terrorist pedophile.
  There will be few sheeple with the dicrimination to recognize that,
in your case, it is true, in 'my' case, it is not.

Not that I'm a troublemaker...

TruthMonger