Re: Report on UN conference on Internet and racism

Tim May writes:
> At 10:17 PM -0700 11/18/97, Colin A. Reed wrote:

>> I think the most important constitutional protection is that of
>> due-process.  Thus we need to have a court proceeding to determine that
>> they really are in the US without a valid visa before we can bus them out.

> It's called a "Green Card," popularly.

> No court proceeding is needed to deport illegal aliens, save for a
> perfunctory classification hearing to determine whether or not they have a
> Green Card.

How do you know that someone is not a citizen?  My mother-in-law has no
green card, can barely speak English, yet can legally stay in the US for
as long as she likes.

Of course, that's because she has been a US citizen for over thirty years.

> I hope you were not suggesting a long drawn-out court case, with lawyers
> paid for by the taxpayers, to decide that which is patently obvious?

How do we know that you are in this country legally?  The last time you
were outdoors, would you have been able to prove that you are in this
country legally?

Innocent until proven guilty.  Unless he speaks Spanish.

It's called the Sixth Amendment, in case you weren't paying attention.

--
Colin