revq.html

   Revolutionary Quotes

   We built your fort. We will not have it used against us.
          John Wayne Allegheny Uprising

   Restrictions of free thought and free speech is the most dangerous of
          all subversions. It is the one un-American act that could most
          easily defeat us.
          William O. Douglas

   The shepherd drives the wolf from the sheep's for which the sheep
          thanks the shepherd as his liberator, while the wolf denounces
          him for the same act as the destroyer of liberty. Plainly, the
          sheep and the wolf are not agreed upon a definition of liberty.

          Abraham Lincoln

   The Revolution was effected before the war commenced. The Revolution
          was in the minds and hearts of the people. This radical change
          in the principles, opinions, sentiments and affections of the
          people was the real American Revolution.
          John Adams

   Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent
          revolution inevitable.
          John F. Kennedy

   Each time a man stands up for an ideal, or acts to improve the lot of
          others, or strikes out against injustice, he sends forth a tiny
          ripple of hope...build(ing) a current that can sweep down the
          mightiest walls of oppression and resistance.
          Robert F. Kennedy

   Those who suppress freedom always do so in the name of law and order.
          John V. Lindsay

   Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet depreciate agitation, are
          men who want rain without thunder and lightning.
          Frederick Douglass

   All civilization has from time to time become a thin crust over a
          volcano of revolution.
          Havelock Ellis

   Man's capacity for justice makes democracy possible, but man's
          inclination to injustice makes democracy necessary.
          Reinhold Niebuhr

   This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit
          it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government,
          they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it, or
          their revolutionary right to dismember or overthrow it.
          Abraham Lincoln

   The French Revolution of a hundred and fifty years ago gradually
          ushered in an age of political equality, but the times have
          changed, and that by itself is not enough today. The boundaries
          of democracy have to be widened now so as to include economic
          equality also. This is the great revolution through which we
          are all passing.
          Jawaharlal Nehru

   If our economy of freedom fails to distribute wealth as ably as it has
          created it, the road to dictatorship will be open to any man
          who can persuasively promise security to all.
          Will Durant

   Any doctrine that weakens personal responsibility for judgement and
          for action helps create the attitudes that welcome and support
          the totalitarian state.
          John Dewey

   I call that mind free which jealously guards its intellectual rights
          and powers, which calls no man master, which does not content
          itself with a passive or hereditary faith, which opens itself
          to light whencesoever it may come, which receives new truth as
          an angel from Heaven.
          William Ellery Channing

   A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves.
          Bertrand de Jouvenel

   All the higher, more penetrating ideals are revolutionary. They
          present themselves far less in the guise of effects of past
          experience than in that of probable causes of future
          experience.
          William James

   A regime, an established order, is rarely overthrown by a
          revolutionary movement; usually a regime collapses of its own
          weakness and corruption and then a revolutionary movement
          enters among the ruins and takes over the powers that have
          become vacant.
          Walter Lippman

   Government is, or ought to be, instituted for the common benefit and
          security of the people, nation or community; whenever any
          government shall be found inadequate or contrary to these
          purposes, a majority of the community hath an indubitable,
          unalienable, indefeasible right, to reform, alter, or abolish
          it, in such manner as shall be judged most conducive to the
          public Weal.
          George Mason

   You can never have a revolution in order to establish a democracy. You
          must have a democracy in order to have a revolution.
          G.K. Chesterton

   Here in America we a descended in blood and in spirit from
          revolutionists and rebels- men and women who dared to dissent
          from accepted doctrine. As their heirs, we may never confuse
          honest dissent with disloyal subversion.
          Dwight Eisenhower

   There is no substitute for a militant freedom.
          Calvin Coolidge

   He who would be free must strike the first blow.
          Frederick Douglass

   Those who give the first shock to a state are the first overwhelmed in
          its ruin; the fruits of public commotion are seldom enjoyed by
          him who was the first mover; he only beats the water for
          another's net.
          Michel De Montaigne

   There is a kind of revolution of so general a character that it
          changes the tastes as well as the fortunes of the world.
          La Rochefoucauld

   The art of revolutionizing and overturning states is to undermine
          established customs, by going back to their origin, in order to
          mark their want of justice.
          Blaise Pascal

   Whenever the legislators endeavor to take away and destroy the
          property of the people, or to reduce them to slavery under
          arbitrary power, they put themselves into a state of war with
          the people, who are thereupon absolved from any further
          obedience, and are left to the common refuge which God hath
          provided for all men against force and violence.
          John Locke

   Everything I see about me is sowing the seeds of a revolution that is
          inevitable, though I shall not have the pleasure of seeing it.
          The lightning is so close at hand that it will strike at the
          first chance, and then there will be a pretty uproar. The young
          are fortunate, for they will see fine things.
          Voltaire

   The most sensible and jealous people are so little attentive to
          government that there are no instances of resistance until
          repeated, multiplied oppressions have placed it beyond a doubt
          that their rulers had formed settled plans to deprive them of
          their liberties; not to oppress an individual or a few, but to
          break down the fences of a free constitution, and deprive the
          people at large of all share in the government, and all the
          checks by which it is limited.
          John Adams

   It is an observation of one of the profoundest inquirers into human
          affairs that a revolution of government is the strongest proof
          that can be given by a people of their virtue and good sense.
          John Adams

   To dare: that is the whole secret of revolutions.
          Antoine Saint-Just

   An oppressed people are authorized whenever they can to rise and break
          their fetters.
          Henry Clay

   Wherever a man comes, there comes revolution. The old is for slaves.
          Ralph Waldo Emerson

   Let the ruling classes tremble at a Communist revolution. The
          proletarians have nothing to lose but their chains. They have a
          world to win. Working men of all countries, unite!
          Karl Marx and Friedrich Engels

   All men recognize the right of revolution: that is, the right to
          refuse allegiance to, or to resist, the government when its
          tyranny or its inefficiency are great and unendurable.
          Henry David Thoreau

   Insurgents are like conquerors: they must go forward. The moment they
          are stopped they are lost.
          Wellington

   Revolutions are not made: they come. A revolution is as natural a
          growth as an oak. It comes out of the past. Its foundations are
          laid far back.
          Wendell Phillips

   Revolutions never go backwards.
          William Henry Steward

   The French revolution was a machine invented and constructed for the
          purpose of manufacturing liberty; but it had neither lever
          cogs, nor adjusting powers, and the consequences were that it
          worked so rapidly that it destroyed its own inventors, and set
          itself on fire.
          C.C. Colton

   Great revolutions, whatever may be their causes, are not lightly
          commenced, and are not concluded with precipitation.
          Benjamin Disraeli

   A reform is a correction of abuses; a revolution is a transfer of
          power.
          E.G. Bulwer-Lytton

   Whenever the ends of government are perverted, and public liberty
          manifestly endangered, and all other means of redress are
          ineffectual, the people may, and of a right ought to reform the
          old, or establish a new government; the doctrine of
          non-resistance against arbitrary power and oppression is
          absurd, slavish and destructive of the good and happiness of
          mankind.
          Declaration of Rights, Maryland

   There are but three ways for the populace to escape its wretched lot.
          The first two are by the routes of the wine-shop or the church;
          the third is by that of the social revolution.
          M.A. Bakunin

   Revolutions are not made by men in spectacles.
          Oliver Wendell Holmes Sr.

   Revolutions are not made with rosewater.
          E.G. Bulwer-Lytton

   It is not the insurrections of ignorance that are dangerous, but the
          revolts of intelligence.
          James Russell Lowell

   The right to revolution is an inherent one. When people are oppressed
          by their government, it is a natural right they enjoy to
          relieve themselves of the oppression, if they are strong
          enough, either by withdrawal from it, or by overthrowing it and
          substituting a government more acceptable.
          U.S. Grant

   Revolutions can no longer be achieved by minorities. No matter how
          energetic and intelligent a minority may be, it is not enough,
          in modern times at least, to make a revolution. The cooperation
          of a majority, and a large majority too, is needed.
          Jean Jaures

   One of the chief symptoms of every revolution is the sharp and sudden
          increase in the number of ordinary people who take an active,
          independent and forceful interest in politics.
          Nikolai Lenin

   It is impossible to predict the time and progress of revolution. It is
          governed by its own more or less mysterious laws. But when it
          comes it moves irresistibly.
          Nikolai Lenin

   We must enter and take possession of the consciences of the children,
          of the consciences of the young, because they do belong, and
          should belong to the revolution.
          Plutarco Calles

   Those who are inclined to compromise can never make a revolution.
          Kemal Ataturk

   He that accepts protection, stipulates obedience. We have always
          protected the Americans; we may therefore subject them to
          government.
          Samuel Johnson

   If there was ever a just war since the world began, it is this in
          which America is now engaged.
          Thomas Paine

   I desired as many as could to join together in fasting and prayer,
          that God would restore the spirit of love and of a sound mind
          to the poor deluded rebels in America.
          John Wesley

   If I were an American, as I am an Englishman, while a foreign troop
          was landed in my country I never would lay down my arms,-
          never! never! never!
          William Pitt

   The American Revolution was a vindication of liberties inherited and
          possessed. It was a conservative revolution.
          William E. Gladstone

   Who draws his sword against his prince must throw away the scabbard.
          James Howell

   Rebellion to tyrants is obedience to God.
          Thomas Jefferson

   My call is the call of battle- I nourish active rebellion;/ He going
          with me must go well armed.
          Walt Whitman

   Disobedience in the eyes of any one who has read history is man's
          original virtue. It is through disobedience that progress has
          been made, through disobedience and through rebellion.
          Oscar Wilde

   Disobedience, the rarest and most courageous of the virtues, is seldom
          distinguished from neglect, the laziest and commonest of the
          vices.
          George Bernard Shaw

   Tyranny brings ignorance and brutality with it. It degrades men from
          their just rank into the class of brutes; it damps their
          spirits; it suppresses art; it extinguishes every spark of
          noble ardor and generosity in the breasts of those who are
          enslaved by it; it makes naturally strong and great minds
          feeble and little, and triumphs over the ruins of virtue and
          humanity.
          Jonathan Mayhew

   No government power can be abused long. Mankind will not bear it.
          Samuel Johnson

   Some boast of being friends to government; I am a friend to righteous
          government, to a government founded upon the principles of
          reason and justice; but I glory in publicly avowing my eternal
          enmity to tyranny.
          John Hancock

   The evils of tyranny are rarely seen but by him who resists it.
          John Hay

   It is lawful and hath been held so through all ages for any one who
          have the power to call to account a tyrant or wicked king, and
          after due conviction to depose and put him to death.
          John Milton

   If a sovereign oppresses his people to a degree they will rise and cut
          off his head. There is a remedy in human nature against tyranny
          that will keep us safe under every form of government.
          Samuel Johnson

   'Twixt kings and tyrants there's this difference known;/ Kings seek
          their subjects' good: tyrants their own.
          Robert Herrick

   The mob is easily led and may be moved by the smallest force, so that
          its agitations have a wonderful resemblance to those of the
          sea.
          Polybius

   The common people suffer when the powerful disagree.
          Phaedrus

   Do not wonder if the common people speak more truly than those above
          them: they speak more safely.
          Francis Bacon

   Do not be too severe upon the errors of the people, but reclaim them
          by enlightening them.
          Thomas Jefferson

   The people are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our
          liberty.
          Thomas Jefferson

   I am not among those who fear the people. They, and not the rich, are
          our dependence for continued freedom.
          Thomas Jefferson

   The welfare of the people is the supreme law.
          Motto of Missouri

   In your dread of dictators you established a state of society in which
          every ward boss is a dictator, every private employer a
          dictator, every financier a dictator, all with the livelihood
          of the workers at his mercy, and no public responsibility.
          George Bernard Shaw

   It is the old practice of despots to use a part of the people to keep
          the rest in order.
          Thomas Jefferson

   Arbitrary rule has its basis, not in the strength of the state or the
          chief, but in the moral weakness of the individual, who submits
          almost without resistance to the domineering power.
          Friedrich Hatzel

   Despotism has forever had a powerful hold upon the world. Autocratic
          government, not self-government, has been the prevailing state
          of mankind. The record of past history is the record, not of
          the success of republics, but of their failure.
          Calvin Coolidge

   It violates right order whenever capital so employs the working or
          wage-earning classes as to divert business and economic
          activity entirely to its own arbitrary will and advantage,
          without any regard to the human dignity of the workers, the
          social character of economic life, social justice, and the
          common good.
          Pope Pius XI

   The foundation on which (our government is) built is the natural
          equality of man, the denial of every pre-eminence but that
          annexed to legal office, and particularly the denial of a
          pre-eminence by birth.
          Thomas Jefferson

   When the government violates the people's rights, insurrection is, for
          the people and for each portion of the people, the most sacred
          of rights and the most indispensable of duties.
          Marquis De Lafayette

   Revolution is the larva of civilization.
          Victor Hugo

   General rebellions and revolts of a whole people never were encouraged
          now or at any time. They are always provoked.
          Edmuns Burke

   It is only by instigation of the wrongs of men that what we call the
          rights of men become turbulent and dangerous.
          James Russell Lowell

   Revolutions are like the most noxious dungheaps, which bring into life
          the noblest vegetables.
          Napoleon

   When all other rights are taken away, the right of rebellion is made
          perfect.
          Thomas Paine

   Caesar had his Brutus, Charles the First his Cromwell, and George the
          Third may profit by their example. If this be treason, make the
          most of it.
          Patrick Henry

   None but tyrants have any business to be afraid.
          Hardouin de Perefixe

   He who strikes terror into others is himself in continual fear.
          Claudian

   Tyrants have not yet discovered any chains that can fetter the mind.
          Colton

   There is something about men more capable of shaking despotic power
          than lightening, whirlwind, or earthquake, that is, the
          threatened indignation of the whole civilized world.
          Daniel Webster

   Anarchy is the sure consequence of tyranny; for no power that is not
          limited by laws can ever be protected by them.
          John Milton

   One sharp, stern struggle, and the slaves of centuries are free.
          George Massey

   The bigger a state becomes the more liberty diminishes.
          Jean Jacques Rousseau

   Every generation must wage a new war for freedom against new forces
          which seek through new devices to enslave mankind.
          Progressive Party Platform

   The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.
          Edmund Burke

   Tyrants are always assassinated too late. That is their great excuse.
          E.M. Cioran

   There is nothing more difficult to take in hand, more perilous to
          conduct, or more uncertain in its success, than to take the
          lead in the introduction of a new order of things.
          Machiavelli

   Archimedes' Cockpit | Democracy Wall