Re: USACM Crawls Off the Ivory Tower

USACM Washington Office wrote:
> Computer scientists fear that legislation rushed through in the closing
> days of Congress may inadvertently criminalize many scientific publications
> that are freely available on the Internet today. They are calling on the
> President to veto the measure.
> The "No Electronic Theft Act" would criminalize the copying of materials
> which are currently protected under the well established U.S. doctrine of
> Fair-Use.

No problem. The government can begin legislating exceptions for
people with money or influence, and create another government
spawned cottage industry.

> USACM argues that the No Electronic Theft Act will have a chilling effect
> upon the free speech of scientists and professionals in universities and
> research labs.

No shit, Sherlock!
Were those living in the Ivory Towers of higher (priced) education
under the impression that Clinton only wanted middle and lower-class
Austria, that Reno only wanted Waco and Microsoft, that Freeh wants
us all, but that his Puppet Masters are reigning him in out of their
sense of decency and integrity, rather than because he's exposing too
much of the goobermint's End Game, and making the sheeple nervous?

"They came for the Jews, and I wasn't a Jew..."

Maybe computer cientists should be required to take a couple
of history  classes on their way to our better and brighter
technological future.
The alternative, if they are not afraid to step off of the well-lit
mainstream media streets of the Information Highway, is to take a
few detours to the increasingly out-of-the way InterNet roadside
stands of 'we the people', who are always the first to hear the
loud sounds of the Jackboots from their ground-level, computerized
cardboard shacks.

> According to Dr. Simons "This legislation is clearly contrary
> to the White House's stated goal of avoiding Internet regulation. We
> believe it is inconsistent with the Administration's policy to promote
> dramatically expansive laws for the Internet where other less burdensome
> means may be available to address copyright concerns."

Golly, now we have Dr.'s named something other than Vulis figuring
out that WYSIWYG is not in the government specifications.
Could it be that the echoes of the Jackboots in the stairwells of
the Ivory Towers are causing the high and mighty minds of America
to feel The Fear (TM) of the average citizen who is waiting for
the sounds of the boots being laid to his or her own door?

> The Association for Computing (ACM) is the largest and oldest professional
> association of computer scientists in the United States.  ACM's U.S. Public
> Policy Committee (USACM) facilitates communications between computer
> scientists and policy makers on issues of concern to the computing community.

They are picking us off one at a time, Barbie Doll. Unless the ACM
is ready and willing to defend freedom of speech for Sally Slut,
who wants to put 'swingers' pictures of her and her spouse on the
InterNet, then Sally is not very likely to help you tug your skirt
back down while Bad BillyC and his pals are trying to pull it up
as their little government peckers sing a rousing chorus of, "We're
from the government, and we're here to help you."

Welcome to the real world...

TruthMonger
"The Xenix Chainsaw Massacre"
http://bureau42.base.org/public/xenix
"WebWorld & the Mythical Circle of Eunuchs"
http://bureau42.base.org/public/webworld
"InfoWar"
http://bureau42.base.org/public/infowar3
"The Final Frontier"