Protecting America's Infrastructures

>         Source: http://www.access.gpo.gov/su_docs/aces/aces140.html
> [Federal Register: November 25, 1997 (Volume 62, Number 227)]
> Critical Foundations: Protecting America's Infrastructures
> AGENCY: Department of Commerce.
> ACTION: Notice of availability and request for comments.

> A Statement of the Problem
>
>     Certain national infrastructures are so vital that their incapacity
> or destruction would have a debilitating impact on the defense or
> economic security of the United States.

What are the names of the public officials and employees who are
stepping forward to accept responsibility for allowing the defense
of the United States' physical and economic security to become
vulnerable to destruction and debilitation?
Will there be mass resignations, as a result of those in authority
allowing this problem to develop?

> These critical infrastructures
> include telecommunications, electrical power systems, gas and oil
> storage and transportation, banking and finance, transportation, water
> supply systems, emergency services (including medical, police, fire,
> and rescue), and continuity of government services.

It sounds like fascist elements within the government have defined
the problem in a manner which will justify oppressive government
and corporate control of everything that its citizens need in order
to survive.

> Threats to these
> critical infrastructures fall into two categories: physical threats to
> tangible property (``physical threats''), and threats of electronic,
> radio-frequency, or computer-based attacks on the information or
> communications
> components that control critical infrastructures (``cyber threats'').

There are many more threats which seem to be self-servingly going
unmentioned.
Compromise of strong security by government interference.
Government mandating of a 'single point of failure' in electronic
  techno-systems, in the rush to legislate and regulate the power
  of the government to monitor and control all human communications
  and interactions on the face of the earth.
Government promotion of funneling everybody's electronic future into
  the same sticky web as the government's future, with the aim of
  forced march to Electronic Battan. (i.e. - putting Electronic
  day-care centers in government Electronic buildings.)

> Because many of these critical infrastructures are owned and operated
> by the private sector, it is essential that the government and private
> sector work together to develop a strategy for protecting them and
> assuring their continued operation.

No it is not! It is not particularly essential unless the goal is to
  work toward a fascist wedding of corporate and government interests.
Does this "strategy for protecting them" involve corporations being
  armed similarly to government armed forces, or are the plans already
  in place designed to increase the armed government presence within
  corporations?

> Mission
>
> ... recommend a comprehensive national policy and
> implementation strategy for protecting critical infrastructures and
> assuring their continued operation; and propose any statutory or
> regulatory changes necessary to effect its recommendations.

So the basic plan was to develop critical infrastructures which
  would be accessible to teeNintendoage hackers and adults who enjoy
  sex, and then criminalize their behavior as a national threat?
Did nobody notice if the rocket scientists promoting this scheme
  of Electronic Reality were all wearing Swastikas?

> Overview of the Report's Findings
>
>     1. New Thinking is Required in Cyberspace. It is not surprising
> that infrastructures have always been attractive targets for those who
> would do us harm. In the past we have been protected from hostile
> attacks on the infrastructures by broad oceans and friendly neighbors.
> Today, the evolution of cyber threats has changed the situation
> dramatically. In cyberspace, national borders are no longer relevant.

Is this why the government is so desperate in its headlong rush
to *make* its citizens physical and financial security dependent
on government control of cyberspace?

>     Formulas that carefully divide responsibility between foreign
> defense and domestic law enforcement no longer apply as clearly as they
> used to and, in some instances, you may have to solve the crime before
> you can decide who has the authority to investigate it.

Or to shoot the Electronic goat-herding children.

>     2. We Should Act Now to Protect our Future. The Commission has not
> discovered an imminent attack or a credible threat sufficient to
> warrant a sense of immediate national crisis. However, the Commission
> found that our vulnerabilities are increasing steadily while the costs
> associated with an effective attack continue to drop. The investments
> required to improve the situation are still relatively modest, but will
> rise if we procrastinate.

Is the Commission naming the names of government officials and the
  government employees who are responsible for the defense of the
  United States falling into such a dismal state of vulnerability?
Is the solution to replace all of the government officials, employees
  and regulators who allowed this situation to develop?

>     3. Infrastructure Assurance is a Shared Responsibility. National
> security requires much more than military strength. While no nation
> state is likely to invade our territory or attack our armed forces, we
> are inevitably the target of ill will and hostility from some quarters.
> Disruption of the services on which our economy and well-being depend
> could have significant effects, and if repeated frequently, could
> seriously harm public confidence.

This sounds like it makes a good case for the formation of an
  Electronic security version of our armed forces to monitor and
  control all of CyberSpace.

> Because our military and private
> infrastructures are becoming less and less separate, because it is
> getting harder to differentiate threats from local criminals from those
> from foreign powers, and because the techniques of protection,
> mitigation, and restoration are largely the same, we conclude that
> responsibility for infrastructure protection and assurance can no
> longer be delegated on the basis of who the attacker is or where the
> attack originates. Rather, the responsibility should be shared
> cooperatively among all of the players.

This sounds like a good case for treating all criminals, local and
  global, with the same iron hand of the military that we would use
  to counter threats from foreign powers. Does this mean that Jim
  Bell and Kevin Mitnick will be hung for treason?
Will this 'sharing of responsibility' among "all of the players"
  involve restructuring governments and societies into a...how
  shall I put this...NEW WORLD ORDER?

> Overview of the Report's Recommendations
>
>     1. A Broad Program of Education and Awareness.

Spread Fear/Uncertainty/Disinformation?
Send me a job application!

>     2. Infrastructure Protection through Industry Cooperation and
> Information Sharing. Sector-by-sector cooperation and information
> sharing would take place in the context of partnerships between owners
> and operators and government.

Send Mussolini a job application!

> These partnerships would identify and
> share best practices. The National Institute of Standards and
> Technology, the National Security Agency, and the Department of
> Energy's National Laboratories would provide technical skills and
> expertise required to identify and evaluate vulnerabilities in the
> associated information networks and control systems.

These are the fucking idiots who were supposed to already be doing
  these things, and they are the ones who got the nation into this
  current state which you are claiming is so dismal and dangerous.
If these dweebs haven't been able to access the ClueServer up to
  now, it is unlikely they will be able to do so in the future.

>     3. Reconsideration of Laws Related to Infrastructure Protection.
> Some laws capable of promoting infrastructure assurance efforts are not
> as clear or effective as they could be. Others operate in ways that may
> be unfriendly to security concerns. Sorting them all out will be a
> lengthy and complex undertaking, involving efforts at local, state,
> federal, and international levels. The report identifies specific
> existing laws that could be modified to support infrastructure
> protection.

The mountains of laws that have criminalized the majority of our
  citizens have not been effective in preventing our society from
  becoming a dangerous place, but additional laws, criminalizing
  even more citizens and their activities will? Right...
How many more laws will be required to compensate for the bad
  and useless laws?

>     4. A Revised Program of Research and Development.

More government.

>     5. A National Organization Structure
MORE GOVERNMENT!
>     Office of National Infrastructure Assurance
MORE GOVERNMENT!
>     Infrastructure Assurance Support Office
MORE GOVERNMENT!
>     Information Sharing and Analysis Center
MORE GOVERNMENT!
>     National Infrastructure Assurance Council
MORE GOVERNMENT!
>     Lead Agencies
MORE GOVERNMENT!
>     Sector Coordinators
MORE GOVERNMENT!
>     Warning Center
MORE GOVERNMENT!

> William Reinsch,
> Under Secretary of Commerce, Bureau of Export Administration.

                                          \
Reinsch...that's 'German', isn't it? {;>)========<
                                          /

Why don't you all save a lot of trees and electricity and just
  declare martial law right now, instead of wasting everybody's
  time and energy attempting to justify a fascist future?

You've got all the guns. You've got the press in your pocket.
  You can't even be bothered with telling *good* lies, anymore.
  What the fuck is the point of some lame game of InfoWar designed
  to provide some imaginary justification for turning the whole
  world into one large prison complex?

Why don't the world leaders all get together and count up their
  weapons and then just distribute the citizens according to the
  results? Your spin-doctors can promote it as an act of mercy
  toward the citizens who will no longer have to die defending
  their imaginary freedom.

The Truth?
  "We the people" already know that our predestined future is to
  serve in slavery under a fascist New World Order run by our
  government and corporate rulers.
  We're just pretending we don't know where society is headed, in
  order to trick you into moving more slowly. Pretty ironic, eh?

But what the hell...
If it saves the life of that single child everyone seems to be
  so worried about...
  (Personally, I think we should just 'whack' the little fucker.)

TruthMonger
~~~~~~~~~~~
"The Xenix Chainsaw Massacre"
http://bureau42.base.org/public/xenix
"WebWorld & the Mythical Circle of Eunuchs"
http://bureau42.base.org/public/webworld
"InfoWar"
http://bureau42.base.org/public/infowar3
"The Final Frontier"
http://www3.sk.sympatico.ca/carljohn
"The CypherPunks Secret Conspiracy to Overthrow All World Governments"
http://www3.sk.sympatico.ca/carljohn/AP1-6.htm
http://www3.sk.sympatico.ca/carljohn/AP7-10.htm