Re: Censorial leftists (Was: Interesting article)

Jamie correctly calls my earlier quip about "big government fetishists" a
"shallow" definition of leftist. Obviously it was not meant to be serious;
I didn't think Jamie wanted to explore this issue in any serious way. Based
on his post below, he seems to want to have a reasonable conversation, so I
owe him a reasonable response.

Let me try another take on a few of the issues he raises below.

COPYRIGHT: Clearly not a real left-right split. Rather a battle of
different business interests. There's the content owners, the Hollywood
firms and the software companies, on one side. On the other are companies
like Sony that want you to be able to tape movies and the Baby Bells and
ISPs that don't want to be liable for infringments. Firms like Time-Warner
that own cable companies and content are somewhat split. Lefty/public
interest groups joined by librarians play a role, but the corporations are
the ones driving the debate.

PRIVACY FROM GOVERNMENT: Lefty groups join libertarians and occasionally
some right wing groups (Eagle Forum) here. Their battle is with defense/law
enforcement and (largely) right-wing groups that are ideologically
sympatico. This collection of right-wing groups includes police chiefs,
attys general groups, and columnists like Frank "ban crypto" Gaffney from
the Washington Times. We can be more precise if we break down "privacy from
government" into narrower issues like wiretap, crypto, medical privacy,
etc. Gets more complicated (as you note) when we're talking about balancing
access to gvt info with privacy; journalist groups come down hard for
access.

PRIVACY FROM BUSINESSES: On government regulations designed to "protect
your privacy," you'll see mostly lefties out there crying that the Direct
Marketing Association is the archenemy, and AOL is the demon of cyberspace
because of its privacy policies, etc. Libertarians like CEI and Cato take
free-market position saying that gvt regs do more harm than good. Though
conservative think tanks like Heritage are starting to become more
interested in this. More a battle between lefty/public
interest/privacy/pro-regulatory groups on one side and
businesses/free-market groups on the other.

MICROSOFT: Mostly a battle between business groups: MSFT vs. its
competitors. Libertarians (CEI, Cato) and conservative thinktanks
(Heritage) are opposing antitrust regulations. Lefty/"consumer" groups are
all over this one, of course.

Bottom line: left-right analyses don't give you all the information you
need. A more complex analysis helps; fortunately, some other folks here
have suggested some. Now it's time for me to go to sleep; it's too late to
be writing this stuff. Hope it makes sense.

-Declan