Re: Identity, Persistence, Anonymity, and Accountability--Part I

At 1:40 PM -0700 12/15/97, Ulf M�ller wrote:

>Anyway, I don't expect the new list to sap energy from the cypherpunks
>list -- rather the contrary.  For example, Tim probably wouldn't have
>written his essay (and posted it to cypherpunks), if not for the Nym
>list.  Declan managed to get together a number of people who haven't
>been seen on cypherpunks for years, if ever.  Allowing posters (as
>opposed to readers, see above) on invitation only doesn't seem too bad
>to me.  The Nym list promises to be interesting.

Thank you (translation: danke schon, mitout der umlaut) for the kind
comments about my long two-part esssay.

I agree that any new list will generate _some_ new articles. I can't claim,
with all due respect to Declan, that the Nym list has generated any
partcularly new insights. Maybe it will, but for now most of what we are
seeing are initial points of view, recylings of long-held opinions.

I, for one, no longer have the energy to rewrite things I first posted in
1992 or 93. Maybe others will bring up new issues which can generate truly
new responses.

--Tim May