Re: your mail

> If I live in the US and put the perl RSA code in
> my sig, then post in an international newsgroup,
> have I illegally exported encryption?

Yes, so, I believe under the EAR, has the admin of the newshost which
sends the post out of the US.

> If I put that same code on my web site, then
> post requests to view my site in an
> international newsgroup, have I exported it?

Yes, I believe that is the case, the same applies to FTP, and any other
similar protocol.

> What is the penalty for exporting powerful
> encryption?

Can`t recall, I`m sure someone here knows the EAR tariffs, it`s pretty
steep but a. you wont get caught, and b. if you do, the prosecution is
highly unlikely to be succesful.

        Datacomms Technologies data security
       Paul Bradley, [email protected]
  [email protected], [email protected]