Re: Is Anonymous Communication only for "Criminals"? (was: Re: UCENET II and Peter duh Silva)

On Sat, Dec 20, 1997 at 06:20:04PM -0000, Charlie Comsec wrote:

> [email protected] (Gary L. Burnore) wrote:
>
> > On 19 Dec 1997 23:01:59 +0100, Charlie Comsec  wrote:
> > :Actually in the case of anonymous e-mail you have one additional
> > :safeguard.  You can ask to be blocked from receiving anonymous e-mail.  Try
> > :telling the telephone company that you want to be blocked from receiving
> > :calls from any pay phone!
> >
> > It's available now.  The first to use it are pager companies.
>
> Why would a pager company want to block calls from pay phones?  Haven't
> you seen that commercial (for MCI?) where the kids crowd into that phone
> booth and page someone to pick them up from school before the big
> storm hits?  Imagine if they had gotten a recording saying "I'm sorry.
> You can't page this number from a pay phone."  Really bad PR!

	War on (some) Drugs...  they don't want to, they have been asked to...

	Most payphones can no longer receive calls because of this as
well, and there are far fewer of them around in certain areas than there
used to be ...

	Pagers are a favorite communications vehicle amoung drug dealers...

	As of course are pay phones...

	Public safety, service and conveniance come second ...

--
	Dave Emery N1PRE,  [email protected]  DIE Consulting, Weston, Mass.
PGP fingerprint = 2047/4D7B08D1 DE 6E E1 CC 1F 1D 96 E2  5D 27 BD B0 24 88 C3 18