Re: message dependent hashcash => no double spend database (Re: hashcash spam prevention & firewalls)

In <[email protected]>, on 12/22/97
   at 01:01 PM, Adam Back <[email protected]> said:

>William Geiger <[email protected]> writes:
>> Well IMNSHO hashcahs mail sucks!! It opens up the pandora's box of usage
>> based charges for everything done on the 'net. What will be next? FTP
>> sites charging hashcash for DL's? WebPages charging hashcash per hit? DNS
>> servers charging per lookup? Routers charging per packet?

>We already pay usage charges indirectly.

>That is to say, in the UK you pay per second phone line charges.  It
>would actually save me money if the net was a bit more responsive.  If I
>was paying packet delivery at guaranteed performance, I would spend less
>money on the phone charges.

Well this is a UK telco problem not an Internet problem. I most certianly
do not wish to see my rates increase in an effort lower yours.

>Flat rate charges is nice enough, and the way I would like things to
>stay, however I tend to think that usage charges would not be as bad as
>you expect, because it would put competitive pressure on ISPs to provide
>performance.

I highly doubt it. Currently the going rate in the US is $15-$20/mo
unmetered rate for a standard dial-up ppp account. This includes 1 or 2
mail boxes, 5-10Mb quota space, WebServer, NewsServer, POP3 & SMTP
servers. This is fairly standard offering but will vary slightly from one
ISP to another. This is what the market will bare due to fierce
competition in the ISP bussiness. I doubt that switching to a metered rate
system will lower prices any and more than likely will *increase* prices.

There have been ISP's in the past who have offered metered rate services,
they are no longer in business. People have voted with their walets and
have overwhelmingly stated that they do not want metered rate services
(this is why you hear some on the list talking about "educating" the
users).

>(My current ISP has truly pitiful performance.)

Get a different ISP. I have switched my webpages and mail accounts to a
shell account so I can switch ISP's at will without any problems.

- --
William H. Geiger III  http://users.invweb.net/~whgiii

OS/2 PGP 2.6.3a at: http://users.invweb.net/~whgiii/pgpmr2.html