Re: Lock and Load (fwd)

On 12/22/97 6:40 PM, Jim Choate ([email protected])  passed this wisdom:

  Remington Model 8 semi-automatic rifle (circa 1905-1930+) there is one
(high three digit serial number made in 1906) chambered in .35 Remington
on the wall about 30 feet from where I am sitting. It's safety is right
side mounted and not only blocks the trigger but locks the bolt forward
both internally and externally by blocking track for the bolt handle, it
must be off to draw the bolt back to load the internal five round
pushdown magazine. The design was based on the original Browning patent
for a semi-automatic rifle. I remember through the years seeing at least
three other weapons with similar mechanisms but I cannot recall make and
model save that one of the was a Remington of 1920's vintage.

>A parallel pistol example would be nice too, if you're so inclined.

 I don't know of any pistols .... except that in the case of the
ubiquitous military .45 (1911A1) while one can easily insert a magazine
with the gun on safe, it isn't truly loaded til a round is chambered
which involves coming out of safe to rack the slide .... as far as I am
concerned the only 'safe' safety on a .45 is the half-cock position. I
have seen a number of malfunctions of the thumb safety and the grip
safety as well as the barrel disconnect safety.

 In another message someone commented on not dropping a .45 with the
hammer back ... I have a friend in NJ who commanded another platoon in my
recon company in Nam. He jumped down off a parapet and his .45 bounced
out of his flak jacket pocket and went off putting a large hole in his
foot (for which he earned the nickname "Quick Draw"). It had been in
'condition 1' (full magazine inserted, round chambered, hammer at full
cock, thumb safety on), but went off anyway. The armorer later said none
of the parts seemed damaged or particularly worn, it just went off ... I
am sure there's dozens more stories of loaded 45's going off when dropped.

Brian B. Riley --> http://members.macconnect.com/~brianbr
 For PGP Keys  <mailto:[email protected]?subject=Get%20PGP%20Key>

  "Civilization is the progress toward a society of privacy. The
   savage's whole existence is public, ruled by the laws of his tribe.
   Civilization is the process of setting man free from men."
    -- Ayn Rand - The Fountainhead (1943)