Re: Freedom Forum report on the State of the First Amendment

Paul Bradley <[email protected]> writes:

> > Tim's analysis is nonsensical.
> >
> > A government employee loses his job because of his political
> > views. He brings a lawsuit, alleging a violation of the First
> > Amendment, and eventually prevails in the Supreme Court.
> >
> > A non-government employee who loses his job because of his
> > political views would have no cause of action because the
> > private employer is not bound by the First Amendment.
> >
> > Therefore there should be far fewer government employees
> > to prevent further erosion of the First Amendment.
>
> This makes sense, do you not see the logic?

paul, it only makes sense according to my logic or your logic.
According to mark's logic (totally different) everyone should be
a government employee.

> > >Suppose RealBig Corporation fired Umbehr for his views. Would a First
> > >Amendment issue have arisen? Of course not. In a free society, RealBig is
> > >free to hire whom it wishes, and to refuse to hire niggers, homos,
> > >perverts, Jews, whatever. And to fire anyone who wrote opinions the
> > >managers at RealBig disliked.
> >
> > Substitute "fascist society" for "free society" in the paragraph
> > above and the discussion begins to make some sense. Hell, it's even
> > historically accurate.
>
> Wrong, do you dispute the fact that RealBig corp. is free to refuse to
> hire people for any reason whatsoever? Do you think I should not be
> allowed to refuse to hire people because of their race or sexual orientation?
>
> Should the government be able to take action against me because I fire
> someone for being jewish/black/homosexual???

In Mark's world, that's the next best thing to not letting RealBig Corp
hire anyone at all, so it cannot "discriminate".  let the gubmint do all
the hiring.

---